Blith London - a mis-spelt mark

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Rustyoldion, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Rustyoldion

Rustyoldion Active Member

This 12" iron backed dovetail saw carries a stamp reading BLITH LONDON. The saw has some damage to the handle and a replacement steel screw (yukk). BSSM attributes the mark to one of the Blythe family of makers and it seems to be an example of mis-spelling probably resulting from a verbal instruction being given to the stamp maker.

One day I will get round to replacing the steel screw.

Rustyoldion P1130695.JPG P1130696.JPG P1130697.JPG

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi,

I have one Blith and its spelling is the same as yours.

I put it on here some time ago.

http://www.backsaw.net/forum/index.php?threads/blith-blythe.287/

I could not believe then that it was by the same maker as the Blythe referred to as posted in the same thread, but now sadly disappeared into the ether.

Also if you look at BSSM you will see that the attribution of Blith to one of the Blythes is a little equivocal.

"its attribution to these makers is assumed, as the name Blith is not found anywhere".

Now, I don't know how expensive marks were to make at the time, but if it is a mis-spelt name then it was put on quite a few saws (but then again, so was Disston and Snos).

There have been a number of both Blythes and Bliths on Ebay over the last few years and I am not convinced that they are either contemporaneous, or by the same maker. From memory the Blythes that I have seen (but not been willing to afford) have been virtually all brass backed and quite classy saws.

Fred

I think that I have found the original Blythe link in the link posted above.

http://www.backsaw.net/forum/index.php?threads/blythe-london.79/

It does work, I have tried it.:)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  3. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Fred,

I have a magic incantation that can bring back lost threads from the ether. :)

Go to google and enter.

blythe site:www.backsaw.net

The reason the original linked article seemed to disappear is that it was a link to when I was using different forum software.

Also, Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Regards
    Ray