Blith (Blythe)??

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, May 21, 2012.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

The is a Blythe on here already.

http://www.backsaw.net/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=58&jfile=showthread.php&t=79

But that is a completely different order of saw, and possibly date to mine.

If, as HSMOB implies they were the same company, and their ascribed date is right, then this should be 1840 - ish but this is another ascription on the basis of a saw only with no supporting documentry evidence.

The only Bliths that I can find in London from the online directories are around the turn of the century and there are precious few of them then, none remotely related to saw making. I have checked "Trademarks" this time and there is no trace there (and which is what I should have done over the "Patterson" saw and which Vince did. It would have saved me a lot of time!!!:( and effort.)

Looking at the two saws, (originally posted Bythe and mine) I cannot believe that they are made by the same company, but my Blith has all the hallmarks of a much later "cheapie", possibly brand. I think that I can see traces of dark varnish on the handle. Perhaps they were trying to piggyback on the reputation of Blythe.

I don't know and possibly never will unless someone out there knows the answer.

Fred

Attached Files: