W. Swann German Steel

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by David, May 11, 2013.

1. David

David Most Valued Member

Hello All,
    I got this saw a while ago in a New Hampshire parking lot, and haven't been able to find out anything about it since. The crowns, of course, make it English, but otherwise I'm stymied. The three screws and small nose are a suggestion that it might be early, but only a suggestion. Certainly a suggestion that I prefer to the idea that it's just another anonymous inexpensive late 19c saw, but whatever it is, I'm here to find out. It's 28" and 4 tpi. I'd appreciate any information or comments.
    Thanks,
    David

Attached Files:

2. pmcgee

pmcgee Most Valued Member

There is HH Swann and Brittain (Swann & Co) in Ray's Checklist of Sawmakers.

Other than that, you need an expert :)

Cheers,
    Paul

3. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

From HERE.

Toby

P.S. That's one "N" and I think too late. They sold tool cabinets complete with tools, and there were hand saws included.

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  4. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Hi David,
    nice find.
    There are acouple of possible W Swanns listed in the Sheffield directories per Sheffield Indexers website
    1837 William Swann, Ironmaster (whats that ? )
    1871 William Swann, Ironmonger
    http://sheffieldindexers.com/TradeD...ame=swann&occupation=&address=&current_page=4

But since the blade stamp doesn't mention Sheffield, it seems quite possible that your "W Swann" was from some other location.

5. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks Most Valued Member

Very nice saw. Most German Steel is traced back to approx. 1820, but that's not cast in steel...(a little steel pun for 'ya ;) ).

The split-nuts look in good shape, as is the plate.

If the split-nut washers are in as good of shape as the bolt head, you've got yourself a very nice saw which pre-dates most all saws in America. It is English as you mention. :)

6. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

W Swann

That's a really interesting one, and new to me. It's a second quality tool (because German steel, three screw handle, London pattern), and would fit with the usual Sheffield marking of the last quarter of the 19th century (three crowns surrounding the name). It's the kind of tool an ironmonger might have had made for him to retail with his name as the apparent maker, and William Swann, ironmonger of 251 High Street, Attercliffe (an old village a couple of miles east of the city centre, swallowed by 1879 in the big urban developments of the heavy steel industry post Bessemer) would fit very nicely.
    Thanks for letting us see it!