W Stacey ??

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Jan 28, 2016.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

I need a bit of help with this one.

I think that the surname must be Stacey and the initial W.

There are a couple of Stacey's in BSSM but none with the initial W and which, I think are a little too late for this saw. I am looking at 1830's to 1840's judging by the position of the name.

I can find a William and George Stacy as Ironmongers in Sheffield in 1833 but I am pretty sure that it is not theirs.

There are no online directories for London prior to the 1840's and the one that there is then has Stacey's aplently but not related to saw making.

Does anyone have any ideas.

Fred

Attached Files:

2. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

3. fred0325

Thanks Joe,

I am a little way away from my BSSM at the moment and logged in to ask if my memory is correct and there is a Furniss and Stacey and might this, perhaps be the Stacey of that partnership.

But you may well be right and it is Staley. Whichever it is, it is better than I had and unless someone knows this particular mark, it is possible that we will never know. In any case if it is either it is definitely a bonus.

Fred

4. fred0325

Its looking more like Staley all the time Joe.

I have just got back, looked in BSSM and found that the Stacey of Weldon Furniss (Furness??) and Stacey had the christian name of John.

There appears to be no other likely candidates at the moment. And that mid 1830's dates are about right as well.

Fred