Tyzak Saw ??

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by cygnet64, Sep 12, 2011.

1. cygnet64

cygnet64 Member

I was wadering around one of the markets and found this saw, it has had a hard life and the handle has had it. It has split nuts anchoring the handle to the blade but the medallion nut is like a later model saw.

026.JPG

024.JPG

025.JPG

027.JPG

The last picture is of a saw that has no Medallions and is riveted to the blade, any Ideas as too a maker??
    Any help will be greatly appreciated, Cheers Richie.

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Ritchie,

The Tyzack has what I would describe as an enigmatic handle, which basically means that I know nothing at all about it but am prepared to make a few guesses and observations.

I don't know when this particular Tyzack started using raised medallions, but you certainly have a mix of saw screws. The top LHS looks like a "split nut" one to me with a flat head which if original would very likely put the saw at pre-WW1. The bottom one is domed and which, if original would put the saw post WW1. And then, of course there is the medallion.....

I have a pet idea which I have not made public before about the indent which is below the chamfer. On early saws it is just a large radius curve going down to the front of the cheek. As saws get younger, this radius gets more acute to the extent that it runs back up towards the chamfer before it forms the cheek.

Now yours seems to be a relatively large radius curve which may put it earlier rather than later, but on looking at the handle, both the front end of the chamfer where the curve starts and the bottom of the cheek where it finishes have been worn away to one degree or another and so the true shape of this curve may never be known.

I am not so sure that the split nut is original as it seems to stand proud of the handle a little. If this is the case then it would be reasonable to have a domed nut with a raised medallion and this would then put the saw at post WW1. Then again, looking at the shank of the nut that is absent, it is very thin and may well indicate a split nut type fixing. Even if the split nut is original, it may well not be incompatible to have a "late" split nut with an "early" medallion, which may give you an earlier date but not by much.

This of course is a complete WAG.

As for your other saw, I am completely lost, but it does look to me as though the bottom right hand side nut has no function at all in holding the blade on to the handle - curious.

Fred