Looking for an ACME saw filer

Discussion in 'Saw Makers Forum' started by bearkatwood, Apr 24, 2018.

1. bearkatwood

bearkatwood New Member

Hello everyone, my first post here is going to be to see if anyone knows where I might find an ACME saw filer and vise in good working order. I am a saw maker in the Pacific North West of the US. Washington State. I have been making saws for about 4 years and have recently gotten very busy so I would like to upgrade my tooling. If anyone knows where I might find one in good working order I would be very thankful. I look forward to getting to know the people that frequent this saw making forum. Thanks
    Brian Noel
    BearKat Wood

17638-A.jpg

2. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks Most Valued Member

Hi Brian!

I've seen them around on ebay and craigslist, but the problem is always shipping. I'd be curious to know how it works, the Foley equipment in general is pretty crude, so it wouldn't be too hard for the Acme to be better. Those vises are sought after because they're wide, I've seen them by themselves in the wild...but haven't really bought much saw stuff in years.

This forum is not very active, but goes in spurts. Your saws look nice.

Where are you located though, that could determine if it would be worth shipping something or not. I'm all the way out in California.

Cheers,
    Alan

3. bearkatwood

bearkatwood New Member

I am located in the Northwest corner of the Northwest on Whidbey Island in Washington. About as far away from everyone else without leaving the country as I can get unfortunately. I had found two vises through Jim Bode, but sadly they didn't have the base or filer attached which is what I would like. I had heard of one selling recently in very good condition for $1,000 that had the automatic filer and base, finding a similar deal would be ideal. Hoping lightning will strike and I will find one. Thanks, nice to meet you Alan.

4. TraditionalToolworks

Have you ever thought about making your own filer? Or is it just the nostalgic value you're after?

I ask because like saw vises it seems like we can build better mouse traps these days, but there isn't a lot of incentive for anyone to do so. I've always felt the Foley stuff was bit Rube Goldbergish...I mean, some of the mechanisms used in the design seem like redneck ingenuity at best. I think my favorite is how the retoother for the 38x serious has a rod that goes under the stamped frame and connects to a flipper switch on the motor...

Anyway, you're not as far as the east coast, I know the area up there and have been to Bainbridge a few times (couple friends there) and one person I used to work with had property on Lopez that he was trying. I love the San Juans, great area...my sister lives in Renton.

Do you know Jeff Daugherty at Widby Woodworks and Custom Milling ?

5. bearkatwood

bearkatwood New Member

Don't really know anybody in the area yet, I have only been here about 7 months now.
    I know what you mean about the switch on the toother being an afterthought and jimmy rigged. The ACME from what I can see is the top as far as I can see. Not only is it a nice large saw vise that is very sturdy but it can have a filing attachment that works great attached to it. I have mentioned to the guys at Gramercy that they might want to think about bringing this one back form the de

6. TraditionalToolworks

Look up Jeff, his nickname is Redbeard. Good guy to know if you live near him. He does a fair amount of sawmill work. I have known him for a number of years, we used to hang out on a small sawmill forum that is now gone. Anyway, I almost bought some rafters from him for a house I'm building, but time went by and he cut up a number of them into flooring. The beams had come out of the old Duluth Lumber building when it was tore down. Jeff is a good guy to know if you're doing any type of building.

I know people lust after those heavy vises, but I don't know...I have a couple Disston 3D vises I use side by side if needed, but they are also heavy, large and antiquated. A wood vise with metal jaws is a better mouse trap possibly. Speaking of Gramercy, I tried their saw vise when they came out and didn't really like it. It was a bit short. Ok for most saws I sharpen, but not good for a full size handsaw.

BTW, I'd like to hear your take on folded vs. slotted backs. I certain am opinionated in that regard, but open to hear what others prefer. Kind of a touchy topic, but I'm willing to try and discuss it. This would be best for another thread.

Your backs remind me of Andrew Lunn's saws, with less flare. Most of my saws are fairly basic with simple lines. Do you do the scallops with an orbital sander?

7. bearkatwood

bearkatwood New Member

So I have found one, actually two. Thank you all for your help. I found them through auctions with the help of people contacting me. One came with the filer and base, the other was just the vise with a home made base. Thanks for all the help folks, they are out there.