Kenyon handsaw

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by barhc1, Apr 25, 2012.

1. barhc1

barhc1 New Member

This is my first post here and have enjoyed searching through the site. I am amazed at the beauty of the saws shown.

This past weekend I visited a neighborhood estate sale and bought a few very used hand tools including the handsaw shown below. I admit that at first I did not pay attention to the detail of the handle. I was looking for a user and it seemed to be in pretty good shape. It wasn’t until I got it home and cleaned off some of the dust covering it, that I noticed how striking it was. Stamped at the center of the blade is "Kenyon" with 3 hard to see crowns above.

The blade is 6" x 26" with 8 ppi. The nib at the toe is missing/broken off. From what I gather, the handle is a London pattern handle and is in good condition without major damage. The wear in the grain pattern on the palm side is very beautiful. There is one split nut screw. Perhaps a member can tell me if the upper and lower rivets are replacements.

I am a hobby woodworker and not a hand tool collector (After spending time here, that might change). Is this a saw I should not be using for light duty work. I do not want to use it if it has historical importance. It cuts well but could use sharpening. Are there special instructions I should pass on to the sharpening service.

Thanks for your help, Bob.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  2. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey Bob
    Welcome aboard and you have a very nice saw there. Probably say the two rivets are replacements but with the age of the saw I'd leave them (IMHO). Part of the story of the saw. You have also started out with a nice collector saw so I think I might be looking around for a nice user saw and there are lots out there CHEAP. The sharpening service you might be sending to should know how handle an early 19th century saw and I think they might be few and far between. My fear would be they might use a saw filer that could break a few teeth. The steel was good but might be a little brittle. I would just wax it and as you say enjoy how "striking" it looks. It is sweet in my eyes.
    All the best
    Joe S

3. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks Most Valued Member

Nice saw, indeed it is!