Hanby Pearson & Green

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Joe S, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey Ray et al
    "The Horrors". I have finally succombed to the purchase of a saw that will never be able to cut a piece of wood. It is incapable due to a large crack in the centre of the blade. Ha... it now makes me a "collector". I used to be able to say all my saws were at least capable of sawing in some way if they were at least sharp. There are many I have that I have no intention of ever using but all are useable. I think this would have been a great saw due to the significant weight. Not any more. The significant other will not be pleased. shhhhh, plz don't tell her.
    David in an earlier post http://www.backsaw.net/forum/index.php?threads/hanby-green.563/#post-3428 showed us a small backsaw from just Hanby and Green, a later incarnation of the Hanby Pearson & Green union from 1821-28 as Fred pointed out. Simon has three locations, Backfields,Carver Lane and Funace Hill in his BSSM.
    This 16" brass back has beech enclosed handle with three small split screws. There is an arched Hanby Pearson & Green stamp over a Cast.Steel. As of yet I haven't done anything to the state of the saw but I will probably scrape off some of the heavy rust and wax it to slow some of the oxidation process and then just leave it. Hanby  Pearson Green.JPG Hanby 2014-10-06_1.JPG Hanby Pearson & Green_3.JPG Hanby Pearson & Green-06_4.JPG
    enjoy
    Joe S.
    ps..Ray, I love how easy it is to upload pics. I also really like the new format. congrats again.

ray likes this.
  2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Joe,

Once again a wonderful offering from you. And welcome to the collector's club.

This may be the stamp collector in me (not since boyhood though) but I love variations in marks and not only do you have cast (dot) but you also have Hanby (dot) as well.

And yes, I have enjoyed it.

Fred

greyhound likes this.