Hanby & Green

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by David, Jun 1, 2014.

1. David

David Most Valued Member

Hello All,

I'd like to know more about this one. I found Hanby,Pearson & Green on Carver Lane in 1822 and Furnace Hill in 1825. Hanby & Cawley appear on Nursery Lane in 1833. In between those dates I found Hanby & Green at Furnace Hill in 1829. So, is this just another of those short-lived Sheffield partnerships?

The Hanby must be Abraham Hanby, sawmaker who appears in 1829 and 1833 on Nursery St. But which Green might it be? George, Jane, John, Samuel or Thomas? I'm puzzled. As usual.

David

Attached Files:

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi David,

I only have HSMOB to go from and can add little to your speculations. It looks like it is the 1829 one - at the latter end of cast (dot) steel.

The interesting thing from HSMOB is that they have both Hanby and Green and Abraham Hanby occupying the same dates (1828 to 1829) but at different premises - Furnace Hill versus Nursery Street. It is, of course, possible for one person to have two separate businesses but it does make me wonder if it is the same Hanby.

As for Green, I have no idea. Unless there is someone other than Simon who knows about the Green sawmaking dynasty(ies), then this must be one for him , or his book when it comes out.

Fred

3. David

David Most Valued Member

Hi Fred,
    Just to add to the confusion, White's 1833 has Abraham Hanby's home listed at 12 Nursery St, while Hanby & Cowley, sawmakers & cutlers, are at Nursery Lane. So perhaps the 1828-29 listing of Hanby at 30 Nursery St might have been his residence, while the business was at Furnace Hill.

I do hope Simon can cast a light on the Greens. I find them difficult to sort.

Still perplexed, but slightly further along.
    Thanks,
    David

4. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

I have just looked at the 1833 directory and the entry for Abraham Hanby only at 12 Nursery Street has an h. before the address to indicate "home".

Hanby and Cowley are, as you say are at Nursery Lane.

In the 1828 directory Hanby and Green are at Furnace Hill and Abraham Hanby is at Nursery Street, presumably his home address then.

If you look on Google maps, Nursery Street is actually fronting the River Don and Nursery Lane is directly behind it. This in my book should put Nursery Street as the industrial area and Nursery Lane as the residential, but perhaps that is why I haven't written a book. I suppose that Abraham Hanby, were he ever a sawmaker independent of the various Hanby companies could have lived above the "shop".

On about which, the area is only a hop, skip and a jump from Kelham Island and so Simon will be able to give chapter and verse on it.

Fred

Furnace hill is only about a quarter of a mile almost due west across the Don, and about the same distance due south of Kelham Island.