English Saw

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Boyd R., Apr 10, 2018.

1. Boyd R.

Boyd R. New Member

Hi all
    I found a hand saw in an antique mall which is a little unusual ( at least to me).The saw has a 26 1/2 inch blade, 4 PPI and has a Wilson Hawksworth AND Moss stamp. These are the only marks on the saw. It has a London style handle with 4 split nuts, no medallion, although there is a 1 & 1/4 inch circle scribed into the handle butted up against one of the screw nuts. I capitalized the AND since that is the way it is stamped on the blade. I am going to have to learn how to post pictures because I know that makes quite a difference, maybe I can get my grand-daughter to show me.
    Boyd R.

2. Araldite

Araldite Active Member

Hi Boyd,
    Check BSSM and Tweedsdale Directory of Sheffield Cutlery Mfgs.. Wilson and Hawksworth were started in 1825 and were cutlers. Around 1829 Moss joined as the US sales representative and became a partner, at which time his name was added, possibly just for the American market. Ellison joined in 1846 and the name changed to Wilson, Hawksworth & Ellison. Moss left in 1853. Mine is a 10" tenon saw and also only has the three names marked. Saws apparently were always factored.

Nice find; you don't see them very often.

Vince

3. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

4. Boyd R.

Boyd R. New Member

IMG_0767 (2).JPG IMG_0770 (2).JPG IMG_0846 (2).JPG IMG_0848 (2).JPG IMG_0853.JPG IMG_0854.JPG IMG_0857.JPG IMG_0767 (2).JPG IMG_0770 (2).JPG IMG_0846 (2).JPG IMG_0848 (2).JPG IMG_0853.JPG IMG_0854.JPG IMG_0857.JPG IMG_0767 (2).JPG IMG_0770 (2).JPG IMG_0846 (2).JPG IMG_0848 (2).JPG IMG_0853.JPG IMG_0854.JPG IMG_0857.JPG Well I am trying for the first time to post pictures, so here goes. This is the Wilson Hawksworth and Moss saw that I posted earlier. It is rough and is pretty well as I found it. Hope this works.
    Boyd R.

Underthedirt likes this.
  5. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey Boyd
    A lovely example of a 1840s saw that hasn't really been messed with other than making it functional. The circle might have been someone making their mark with a compass for ownership purposes. The "x" in front of that might also have been for this purpose. I wouldn't think it has any other function. Thanks for taking the effort to share with us.
    enjoy
    Joe S.

6. summerfi

summerfi Most Valued Member

Hi all,
    It is interesting that this saw incorporates the word "AND" rather than an ampersand. Are there other known examples of this?

Bob