Beaumont & Co.

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by bhamiter, Dec 16, 2011.

1. bhamiter

bhamiter New Member

This second saw is similar to an unidentified one in the gallery. Labeled Beaumont & Co., Sheffield, warranted cast steel with three crowns. Blade is 18" long, 4-1/2" at the heel and 1-1/2" at the toe. 37 thou thick, no taper and split nuts. teeth average 9 ppi plus or minus one full tooth. The small sized handle is perfect for my daughter so I will have this retoothed at about a 10 tooth. If anyone can pin an approx date on this saw it would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks Most Valued Member

George Beaumont listed in Manchester from 1895-1903, almost the same era as the Bloor saw you posted as well. This is a pretty cool saw, and IMO English saws are preferred over the American saws, but what do I know. Well, I do know what I like, and it isn't American saws, it's the ones from Britan. ;)

Whoever owned both of those saws sure didn't know how to sharpen very well...:rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  3. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Bhamiter,

Wow, a triple crown, triple warranted superior medallion.. can't recall seeing triple warranted superior medallions before.

At 18" I wonder if it could be a toolbox saw? Certainly it's a nice size for your daughter. I'd get it re-jointed and re-toothed.

I'll be interested to hear what Simon makes of this one...

Nice saw.

Regards
    Ray

PS... Where are my manners, Welcome to the forum, TraditionalToolworks, and Bhamiter.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  4. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Hi Bhamiter,

Good looking saw with that nice handle and all those medallions. Is the largest medallion bigger than 1 inch diameter, or is it just the small handle making the medallion look huge ?

Interesting that the etch says "Beaumont & Co, Sheffield", but the references note only the George Beaumont in a different city, Manchester. Of course it could be the same Beaumont using "Sheffield" to denote the steel quality, and the 1895-1903 dates seem OK for the style of your saw.

5. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Beaumont & Co

What a nice little saw!
    I'm guessing that it was an export number, as the 3 medallions are much commoner on transatlantic exports than for the home market. I have no idea who Beaumont might have been, but may be able to track him down in the Sheffield library tomorrow. The date I think is around the 1850-1860 mark, going by the style of the handle (that sharply angled turn at the upper edge above the small bead) and the deep struck maker's [??] marks.

I think the Manchester Beaumonts were dealers and saw doctors, and wouldn't have had this made for them, as it's too early.

Hope you can get it nicely restored - will your daughter be using it?

6. ray

Hi All,

I'm not having much luck with this one, the only thing I can come up with is a bit of a long shot, and that is, they might have been an exporter.

One reason for suggesting this is that the saw is likely a made for export product. (as Simon notes) So maybe it was "badged" by the shipping merchant.

The London Gazette, has it's fair share of listings for Beaumont & Co, in the general era, a coal merchant, leather cutter, and a cloth merchant.

And this possibility..

[​IMG]

That might make it pre 1871, As I said, it's a long shot... :)

Huddersfield isn't all that far from Sheffield, and I imagine they would have exported anything there was a demand for, perhaps saws included.

As a side note, a friend of mine worked in Huddersfield for a time, and was a supporter of the Kidderminster Harriers, who I think (surprisingly) made in into the final rounds of the FA cup one year...:)
    It was 1994, and they reached the 5th round before being beaten by West Ham United 0-1... that's the complete extent of my football trivia...

Regards
    Ray

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  7. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Beaumont & Co

I think I can get a bit closer, but I remain uncertain exactly who B & Co were.
    The 1879 directory lists over a dozen Beaumonts in Sheffield.
    I think the nearest candidate of these is "Beaumont Brothers, manufacturers of electroplated and Britannia metal goods, and electroplaters and gilders, Joiner Lane". The brothers were William Henry and Joseph. This date was the height of the number of firms calling themselves sawmakers, although many of them were in another of the secondary metal trades, chiefly cutlery of one kind or another, or tool making, and any saws with their name would have been factored by one of the true sawmakers.
    This saw strongly resembles those that Spear & Jackson were making a bit earlier than this (1850-1870), but that isn't a complete no-no to an even bigger guess, that this [pause, while I do the obvious and look up B Brothers in Tweedale's Directory - they get a dozen or so lines, including the fact that in the 1861 census they were described as Britannia metal smiths (Britannia metal was a kind of pewter-alloy that could be made to look quite like silver - it was a Sheffield invention and was big business there for >100 years) - and they could easily have been buying saws from the likes of S&J for export under their own name; they, or their successors, faded out in the 1940s].
    I think they merit an entry in the list of sawmakers, although they were obviously only factors, and did not choose to have their name in the directory lists of sawmakers.
    Thanks a lot for the chance to add another name!
    Without the saw in my hand, I'd plump for c1860 (give or take 10 years).

8. bhamiter

bhamiter New Member

Wow. Ya'll are amazing! I wish I could remember where and when I got this. To answer kiwi's query: the large medalion is one inch and the small ones are 1/2 inch. shows how small the handle is.

9. ray

Hi All,

Beaumont & Co, seem to be slipping through the net..

Only a little more to add, the Flood Claim for William Henry Beaumont and Joseph Beaumont, only lists materials and stuff related to Britannia Metal manufacture. Worth while reading as it still makes for an interesting insight into the sort of things that Beaumont Brothers were making.

http://www2.shu.ac.uk/sfca/claimDetails.cfm?claim=1-238

They don't appear to have been saw makers, but that wouldn't preclude factoring by some other sawmaker.

Regards
    Ray

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  10. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks Most Valued Member

They do appear to be metalworkers, and look to have a lot of repairing, repolishing, and repapering. (not sure what repapering is???).

They did list some brass nutts and screws.