Beardshaw no son, london flat (maybe)

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Kerry, Feb 11, 2022.

1. Kerry

Kerry Active Member

Hey everyone, just sharing an interesting saw I picked up recently.
    It has a seemingly early-ish style handle, three smaller split nuts and what looks like a stamp that reads BEARDSHAW (at least to me). No other stamps are visible.

I've gone back and forth on the handle, as it looks earlier in style, but could also be of the later London pattern found on lower quality saws. It has a heavily rounded toe, but this could also be user modified. I've gone over and over on the plate and can read a very light stamp that has EARDSH (attempted to capture in photos). The stamp is very faint despite this saw plate being in fairly good condition when I received it and appears similar to Simon's photo in this thread: http://www.backsaw.net/forum/index.php?threads/beardshaw-son-hand-saw.523/#post-3229. Of course it doesn't have a visible & SON or CAST STEEL, but given how faint the stamp is I can't be certain it isn't there.

So... despite my feeling this is a relatively early Beardshaw, I'm curious what others may think. Other options could be HANDSHAW, or maybe MARSHALL. Or maybe just a late 19c Ashton or some other lower quality saw with a light stamp? Nice saw nonetheless, feels great in the hand and is in really amazing condition despite it's apparent age.

Attached Files:

2. David

David Most Valued Member

Kerry, all I can read in your photo are the letters ...DSH... which is likely to be Beardshaw as you suggest. I've never heard of a Handshaw, but rather a Hanshaw, which wouldn't have those letters. I'd be comfortable with the Beardshaw attribution, myself.

3. Kerry

Kerry Active Member

I appreciate your input David, nice to see that someone else could find letters in those photos. It was so hard to photograph that I resorted to applying some green sharpie, which made the letters a little more clear than just bare steel. You're right, I was mistaken with Handshaw, I shouldn't trust going on my memory of unfamiliar names.

4. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

On the assumption that it's Beardshaw, then I'd think it's likely to be the earlier fashion for London Flat rather than the later lower cost fashion, hard to be sure, but the general shape looks early rather than late, and the lack of an "& Son" might tend to confirm that theory.

Nice find!

Regards
    Ray

Kerry likes this.