Bad Axe introduce (modernised) Seymour-Smith hammer (punch) saw-set

Discussion in 'Saw Makers Forum' started by shoarthing, Feb 11, 2024.

1. shoarthing

shoarthing Most Valued Member

IMG_5426.jpeg https://badaxetoolworks.com/collections/tools-and-accessories/products/bad-axe-saw-set

. . . appears to be usefully focused on backsaw-size tooth-pitches ie 10-20 ppi.

2. pedder

pedder Most Valued Member

What is the advantage compared to a pliere shaped saw set?

3. shoarthing

Regularity & speed. Hammer-sets mimic the dynamics of the technique used in 18th/19th-century saw-manufacture (hammer-setting upon special anvils). Here's Charles Holtzapffel (writing between 1827-43; pub: 1846) on the techniques used around/before H1 C19th:

IMG_5593 Large.jpeg IMG_5594 Large.jpeg

. . . . delightfully, Holtzapffel goes on to describe (for circular saws) the first embodiment known to me of a hammer saw-set; viz:

IMG_5595 Large.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
  4. Dusty Shed Dweller

Dusty Shed Dweller Most Valued Member

Peddar asks an interesting question, and having set tens of thousands of saws I think it's clear what the best method for my own purposes is. Set enough saws and you will know too.

Saws were traditionally set with a narrow faced hammer over a simple bevel filed into the edge of a vice or block. It certainly was a fast method.

You have have rapid or consistency in setting saws, you can't have both. And no method is rapid on fine teeth because you have to take the time to align each tooth with the anvil, they're hard to see and there's a lot of them.

5. Dusty Shed Dweller

Dusty Shed Dweller Most Valued Member

I'm not familiar with Badaxe's revamped design but I would add an adjustable dog/pawl so you can rapidly align the plate with the next tooth to be worked. This would speed up the process of re-locating the plate every time which is a major rate limitation.

6. shoarthing