Would JFlint use someone else's saw plate?

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Frank English, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Frank English

Frank English Active Member

A local Antique Store has a 6ppi ripsaw, nib still in place, saw plate stamped Spear&Jackson Sheffield, lambs tongue handle, split nuts but the medallion is JFlint. Is it likely that this would occur? The handle looks original and the split nuts look undisturbed. Thin line of shiny saw plate showing near the handles edge.

Just curious.

Frank

2. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey Frank
    I am going to say probably not. He says directly from his Illustrated Price List of 1872, "these Saws are made from the VERY BEST ENGLISH CAST STEEL, imported directly from the celebrated Steel Works of WM. JESSOP & SON, SHEFFIELD, England...". Some one change the medallion?
    Love to see pics of the saw
    Cheers
    Joe S.

3. Frank English

Thanks Joe, the penny dropped reading your response and then reviewing Simon's book that JFlint was in Canada not England. The medallion is seated into the handle rather than proud and all the nuts look undisturbed. However one of the split saw nut backs is missing. Was going to purchase the saw yesterday until viewing the medallion with a magnifying glass and seeing JFlint rather than S&J. Will try to get back and either purchase the saw or at least take some pictures and post.
    Thanks again.
    Frank

4. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

These mixtures of makers do turn up sometimes: one of my best working saws, bought over 20 years ago, is a Kenyon (their Fulton brand) with an E C Atkins (AAA) medallion. It shows no signs of being messed about, but I've not taken off the handle (nor have any intention of doing so), which is a fruit wood that I assume is apple. I've always puzzled about how the marriage took place, but it's such a lovely saw that I just use if and don't ask questions, apart from supposing that it's probably late 19th century.

5. Frank English

Got the saw today and will clean the makers stamp and medallion. Looking where the plate and handle connect appears original to the saw with no clean area showing. Will post some before and after pictures. The medallion reads maybe J Flint, Superior. Also teeth are 4 pip. Other than slight bend near nose and small piece off the upper horn looks pretty decent. Once photo's are posted my next question would be approximate age.

6. Frank English

So here are 5 pictures showing the overall saw, both sides of handle, makers mark and medallion cleaned up. The medallion shows a patent date of 1867. The plate length is 27 1/2" teeth are 4 p.p.i.
    Guess the questions would be is it for real and possible date. Thanks for viewing and any comments.

Attached Files:

7. summerfi

summerfi Most Valued Member

Frank,

This sure looks to me like a S&J that has had the medallion replaced with a Flint. Note the split nut on the medallion doesn't quite match the other two.

Bob

8. Frank English

Interesting, the saw nuts directly above and below the medallion measure approx. 9/16th and the top left one is 7/16th. Guessed the handle was not original to saw after seeing the medallion. Have noted previously some saws with replaced handles often show outlines of where the original handle was. Might be more evident when the plate has been cleaned off. Still a nice addition to my little S&J leap frog dovetail saw and a crosscut and backsaw from Shurly & Dietrich. Thanks for your observations.
    Frank

9. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Not far off 1860-70, I'd guess (style of struck mark, and handle); some replaced screws and medallions are beautifully done.

10. Frank English

Thanks Simon, was just starting to read the section in your book on saw nuts and handles. Hoped to isolate a decade it may have been made in. Just received a saw nut spanner for split nuts from Blackburn Tools in the US. Going to see if the nuts can be loosened in order to remove handle for cleaning. From the pictures do you think the handle is original to this saw and just the nuts and medallion replaced?