wooden back by Jennings

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by kiwi, Mar 4, 2012.

1. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Visited a yardsale today and found this little 10 inch backsaw by C E Jennings & Co. I thought it was interesting as this is my first wooden back backsaw. [Sawmakers note; first ever slotted back ?] The wooden back is fixed firmly to the plate, so its likely glued in place.
    If the wingnut is loosened the blade can be easily removed from the handle, so I'm guessing this was part of a "nest-of-saws"
    Phil Baker notes this type of construction dates from 1890-1900 period http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/pBaker/amBacksaw/amBacksaw2.asp ,

Does anyone have further info, or catalogue data, on this saw ?

Attached Files:

2. Chicago Handyman

Chicago Handyman New Member

I met Carl @ my first Midwest Tool Collector's meeting in 2014. He had two of these saws in his collection and sold them to me very reasonably. One is as pictured, & the other has an etch on the blade. The wood is relatively easily removed. The top of the blade can be sharpened & used as a card scraper. His description is remembered as 'simple genius'. Thanks for that lesson Carl.