Wm Tyzack / Peace / Franken

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by kiwi, Dec 6, 2013.

1. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Harry gave me this saw this week (it must be Christmas ! ), and I've cleaned it up a bit.
    Initially I was excited with the large medallion (over 1" dia) and stamped blade, although closer inspection dampened my enthusiasm a little.
    The blade is a bit worn down from repeated filing and the thin tip is broken, but the stamp is a clear "Wm TYZACK & SONS" arced over a faintly stamped dished "SHEFFIELD" (I don't recall seeing "sheffield" in anything but a straight line before ? )
    The handle has tool marks and some rounding of features that makes me think it is an owner made handle. Four brass rivets fix the handle to the blade.
    Cleaning the medallion revealed the lettering "EAGLE WORKS, SHEFFIELD" around a shield crest of some sort and a banner. However there is a peened rivet that is fixing it to the handle, and the peening operation has produced multiple dents in the face of the medallion.

Research gives William Tyzack and Sons operating 1843-67,
    but the "Eagle Works" seems to belong to Peace, (not Tyzack)
    1830s; Peace & Co, 84 Russell St, Eagle Works
    1840s; Ibbotson Peace & Co, 84 Russell St, Eagle Works
    1850s; Peace, Spafford & Co, 84 Russell St, Eagle Works
    1860-1910 WK & C Peace, various addresses, Eagle Works (probable medallion source ?)
    So this saw is apparently a Frankensaw

A true collector might discard a frankensaw as shite, but I'm more accepting, and I quite enjoy saws that have been patched up to make them usable so they can continue to do their work until all components have been fully used up. (I guess I'm not a Collector, I'm only an Accumulator :) )

The medallion is a bit battered, but its a different design from any other "Eagle Works" medallions that I've seen. Does anyone have a similar example, (and maybe a picture showing the shield and banner details) ??
    Edit; What does the banner read, maybe "I P & Co" ? ( for Ibbotson Peace & Co ? )

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013