Wm Palfreyman

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by houblon, May 23, 2015.

1. houblon

houblon Member

I found this saw at the flea market. Folks at Lumberjocks.com identified it as made by Wm . Palfreyman in Belfast. They suggested to look over here for more information.
    The saw is about 26in, has plain split nuts (1.5 missing). Unfortunately the plate has a crack, but there is no pitting and the handle is in good shape.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi,

I have found a William Palfreyman under Sawmakers and Sharpers (that is how it is spelt in the directory) in the Belfast Directory for 1887. His premises were at 3 and 5 Talbot Street .

He is also there in 1877 at 78 Hercules Street.

I searched ffrom 1860 to 1890 and so the 10 years listed here are probably the sum total of his trading.

That is all, I am afraid.

Fred

3. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Nice detective work, Fred.
    Could houblon maybe do a bit more work – garnet paper abrasive and some picking out of the lettering with a probe, or (Fred's method) a dremel tool? I'd very much like to be able to add an image to the update of the saw book. Thanks a lot. Simon (emails to me personally at barleys@mac.com with a big image are great(

4. houblon

houblon Member

Thank you very much for your replies. I will try to get better pictures of the saw and stamp. If you have any pointers to techniques how to enhance the stamp (or how to take a good picture) I would appreciate it.
    I'm afraid that at this point more sanding will do more harm than good.
    Thanks. Bernhard

5. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Bernhard,

In the absence of having a small rotary brush on a tool that is marketed in the UK as a Dremel, one of the easiest ways of getting the rust and gunge out of the lettering is by using a brass bristled brush. The one that I use is designed for brushing suede shoes. It is not perfect but it certainly helps.

Fred

6. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

I sometimes think that the number of ways of improving the surface of an old saw exceeds the number of enthusiasts who recommend them. Try Mr Google and take your pick, but avoid pickling, unless you're prepared to sacrifice the surface finish (which is sometimes beyond rescue anyway), and don't use any mechanical tools except maybe a dremel.

As for photography, I find the best way for me is to put the saw onto a window sill with a large pane of glass, to avoid the shadowing from the glazing bars. Choose a bright day without direct sunshine. Macro setting on the camera. Keep experimenting, and good luck.