Wm. Marsden

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Apr 30, 2011.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

I hope that this is a genuine old (ish) one. HSMOB has William Marsden 1825 to 1829 and this looks about right for that period.

There is a simple stamp with small letters at the base of the back which, if I remember Simon's comment correctly can indicate an earlier saw. ( I do - See the Hanshaw topic).

With the naked eye, (mine at least) there are two small marks which look like they may have been a dot between the cast and steel which may put it earlier still. But alas, on closer examination (the photo taken of them) they are not.

What I do find interesting is that there are two marks (crosses) which are to the right and above the "cast steel" mark. These I hope are owners marks as, with the sides of them being slightly raised, I assume that they were put in later when the steel was cold and after the finishing process. If they were owners marks they may well indicate a degree of illiteracy and thus point to an earlier saw.

The saw screws are of slightly different sizes, one is 7/16ths and the rear one is 1/32nd wider, although this I assume would be a variation in the manufacturing process.

This is another old saw from the North America where, unfortunately the postage was nearly as much as the saw itself. The vendor had it described as and early 1900 's saw. I hope that I am right and he is not.

All refutations on this one will definitely not be gratefully received, but ungraciously and sadly accepted.

Fred

Attached Files:

2. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Fred,

I skirted around Wm Marsden last year when I was trying to find a saw for Val Marsden.

While tracking that down, Simon kindly sent me his excerpt on the Marsden Saw Makers.

Here is the entry for William Marsden..

MARSDEN, William SHEFFIELD
    Norfolk Lane 1825-1828
    Hardware dealer, and maker of saws, busks and trusses.

Congratulations I think you have broken your own law!..

The only other possibility is that the ownership of the mark was transferred to another firm and used at a later date, I think this is unlikely, so I would opt for the earlier date.

Regards
    Ray