Willow saw by Taylor Brothers

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Barleys, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

I am the lucky recipient of a very generous bit of repatriation on the part of a collector in the US – many thanks, Mike! – and would like to show some pictures of this example of the very fine craftsmanship which this go-ahead company used on what was not even their top quality model – at least the handle does not have the degree of ornamentation that I would expect on a top quality model from one of the other companies, even though it is the same as on TB's Guinea saw.
    The level of detail on the medallion is extraordinary, right down to the ripples on the water under the bridge.
    Non-Brits may not be as familiar as some with the origin of the design, which is the Willow pattern plate (pause while I do some wikipedia searching: here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willow_pattern).
    Incidentally, I think it's worth adding to the wikipedia entry on willow pattern plate the use by Taylor Bros.

Attached Files:

2. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Closed too soon.
    The medallion is the largest I've seen 32mm diameter (the usual largest is 25mm).

Attached Files:

3. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Taylor Brothers continue to amaze and surprise, somewhat nice to think that saw has finally come back home to Sheffield...

Ray