william sykes co

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by sweaders, Mar 17, 2012.

1. sweaders

sweaders Member

hi fred hope these two pics show ok will try to show some of the many backsaws later if i am successful cheers pat

Attached Files:

2. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Pat,

I hope you don't mind, I've moved this thread over here to the saw discussion forum.

Looking forward to seeing some more pictures, is there an etch on the saw pictured?

Nice looking saw, by the way.

Regards
    Ray

3. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi,

I hate to ask this but a picture of the mark would be nice as well. The A B intrigues me.

As for the saw and maker I am probably not going to be of much help.

There is a William Sykes in HSMOB as a sawmaker in 1822/23. I have found this one but have found no others who are remotely connected with saw making, unless you count beer house owners and the odd surgeon (see past posts). And a scissor smith in Whites 1879 P351 in Leicester Street.

Now I would love to say that I thought this saw was an 1822 vintage, but unfortunately I do not think that it is. The 1822 maker is Sykes and not Sykes and Co. and just the looks of the handle put it in my 1880+ category.

I think that Simon said in a previous post that he had never seen a "Warranted Superior" medallion on a pre 1860's saw. (I may be wrong on this). And the lack of detail in the lamb's tongue would indicate a later date to me.

So whether your William Sykes is a reincarnation of the first one but a lot later on, or is just a later invention, I don't really know.

Anyway I am still intrigued by the A B and keep posting the pictures.

Fred

4. sweaders

sweaders Member

sykes saw

hi f/r will attempt close up of stamped marks on that saw i hope to photo a similar saw [or more] which is quiet nice the blade has no real pitting and no makers stamp but the handle has amongst the other sp/screws two medallions one has george 111 the other has a shield both have writing in latin i was hoping the other pic,s i took would start of a file in the gallery thanks pat