Wilkinson but which one?

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Nov 30, 2011.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello All,

The good thing about this saw, if HSMOB is correct is that it is a Wilkinson 1818 to 1830, or 1886+. There appears to be nothing in-between.

Now I hope, of course, that it is 1818 to1830. And I think that it is, for the following reasons:-

Simple name low on the back;

Chamfered back;

Small nuts.

The handle perhaps could be more in an earlier style, but if you look at the bottom radius of the boss it has some characteristics of an "egg shaped" one. The top is normal but that is to be expected.

There is a dot between the cast and the steel, but I think that it is a later impact mark/blemish.

If there were intermediate Wilkinson's then I may not have as much hope, but I just cannot see this as being a saw by one of the firms in business from 1886 to 1916.

Again all comments welcome

Fred

Attached Files:

2. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Fred,

Just on style alone (always a dangerous precept, I know) I'd say early 1800's

Regards
    Ray

3. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Wilkinson

Nice one, Fred. I would add my vote to Ray's, for just the reasons you give (and I'd hazard a guess that the dot is not an accidental ding). Is it 9inches or 10? The handle shape is one of the clearest I can think of that shows the transition from the early egg-shape.

Here's my take on the firm:

WILKINSON, George BIRMINGHAM
    Alcester Street 1818-1823
    Upper Witton Mill(s) 1828
    137 Lancaster Street 1829
    Upper Witton Mills 1830-1831
    WILKINSON, WALKER & STARKEY
    137 Lancaster Street 1825
    1818-1825: augur, saw, chissels [sic], gouges, plane irons etc manufacturers; 1831: saw and edge tool maker. There is no documentation to explain the single year in which the firm expanded to three partners.