who was Bertram & Company ?

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by kiwi, Aug 29, 2016.

1. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

I picked up this saw at a local estate auction because of its vintage etch.
    It reads (regi)"stered Trade Mark" arced over "A (picture of head) Of Any", with "Manufactured Specially For" over "Bertram & Company" below.
    I haven't been able to determine who Bertram & Company were.
    The use of a picture and word logo to make up the phrase "Ahead of Any" seems typically Victorian British, as does the handle style, although the Warranted Superior medallion with the Federal Eagle hints of a possible US origin (or maybe just made for the American market ?)
    Google also shows this Trademark on a straight razor, with "Bertram & Co" on the tang (pic below).
    There was a Bertram & Co hardware company locally in Ontario in 1870s-1880s with scottish born owners, and a Bertram & Co commission merchants and agents in Glasgow at the same time (possible family connections ?) but I'm not convinced this is the answer.

I tried, and failed (so far) to find the trademark registration, but maybe someone with better google-fu (or an old trademarks listing) can help ?
    P1030218.JPG
    P1030220.JPG P1030217.JPG P1030216.JPG Bertram.JPG

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

H Kiwi,

I don't know whether this is going to be of any help, but it is a bit closer to sawmaking.

Believe it or not, there is a Bertram in BSSM but he takes a bit of finding. If you put Bertram through Graces Guide, the 15th entry down gives Pickslay Appleby and Bertram (p 1090 in Pigots 1828/29) and which takes you to Green Pickslay and Millington in BSSM. In the blurb about the firm, Pickslay Appleby and Bertram are mentioned selling all sorts of things including saws.

The dates that he has for them are way too early for an etched blade, but there is a James Bertram listed on his own on p.64 of Whites 1852 and this man is a merchant, ironmonger and cutlery dealer.

If it is him, then it looks like he did not make the saw. Neither is there any mention of an export side to the business, but then again, "merchant" can cover a number of sins when used in the these directories.

As an aside, you"A Head" is not recorded in Strazors and unfortunately I have again lost my Trademarks on Base Metal (I wonder if it it is self deleting after a time??) to look in that.

Fred

3. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Thanks Fred,
    I agree that 1820s/1830s is too early, likely 1850s too, so I'm unsure if Sheffield's James Bertram is my man; Sheffield Indexers shows James Bertram operating as ironmonger etc in the 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, but no mention of "& Company". Also, neither saw nor razor mention "Sheffield" in their markings which is curious (unless its a second quality trade name ? , or that part of the saw etch has been worn away)
    I couldn't find the trade mark in Trademarks on base metal (which is still saved on my computer after years of sitting there), nor under UK Trade Marks on line, but these trademarks didn't start to be "registered" til 1876 (too late for my trade mark I think)
    but if this is a British mark, as I suspect it is, I think it might be found in "The Register of Trademarks of the Cutlers Company Sheffield" (which I don't have access to, but is for sale on DVD thru TATHS)

4. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

To my eye this doesn't look quite a British style of design – a bit hard to say exactly why, maybe the typeface of the main lettering? but could the firm be anything to do with the several Bertram names in the EAIA directory of American [for which read also Canadian...] toolmakers whose outside dates are 1851 and 1901? They are down as makers of axes, and as "marking planes".
    The trade mark isn't in the 1919 Cutler's Company list, but I agree that the way it's put together would do nicely for a Sheffield firm – but I'd still vote (with the medallion swaying me) for a N American firm.

5. Dusty Shed Dweller

Dusty Shed Dweller Most Valued Member

I'm with you Simon, I don't think this saw originates from the UK... the handle looks very much like a version of Disston's No. 7 hand saw with the symmetrical boss. The medallion style and nickel-plated nuts are also North American features. At the same time the saw shows many English design trends... my vote is for Canadian manufacture.