Whitham? I don't think so but...

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by TobyC, May 4, 2014.

1. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

Hey guys,

been a while since I've been around, but I could use a little help.

A friend over on woodnet picked up this saw and would like to find out something about it. All I can find is...

Cheetham, Elijah (, saw &c. manufacturer).
    Address: h. Mailn Bridge, in 1911.
    Recorded in: Whites History & Directory of Sheffield - 1833.

and

1822 Baines 1822 WHITHAM (& Co.) saw manufacturers Hoyle Street

both of which I think are too early. Any help would be apreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey Toby et al
    I personally can't see why it can't be Whitham. I don't have any Whitam saws but that little dot between the German Steel might suggest that it can be as early as the dates mentioned. I also looked in the directories and didn't find him past 1825. The handle angles look relatively sharp but thay might be just from lack of use.
    Nice saw
    Joe S.

3. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

Thanks Joe,

Is this the one you saw?

Whitham, Charles (, manufacturer of saws, hay and straw knives, cast steel patent scythes, curriers knives, skinners knives, lady's steel busks and knives for all kinds of chaff machines).
    Address: Netherthorpe, Sheffield in 1825.
    Recorded in: Gells 1825 Directory of Sheffield.

4. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

I also found this, although I am not sure they're related. They don't claim to make saws, but the Charles Whitham in my previous post may not have actually "made" them either.

Whitham, Charles Henry (, Steel manufacturer (Whitham H & Son)).
    Address: 7 Ranby Road, in 1905.
    Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield &Rotherham.

5. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Toby,

I don't have much to add to Joe's post. It definitely looks like "German (dot)" which would put it in the around 1830 at the latest.

If you look at the "Whitham" you will see that the "M" comes just before the last E in Steel and so to keep the two marks symmetrical there should be a letter in front of your first visible letter and which itself must be an "H" or an "N". Almost certainly an "H".

This letter would start just after the "E" in German and there is no reason why it should not be a "W".

It has to be an early saw. There is no way that it is around the turn of the 20th century.

And it is, of course a very nice saw too.

Fred

6. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Whitham,

But I do think so, and am admiring a very pretty example which I'm sure Fred is right in dating at about 1830. Whitham on his own was preceded by a short partnership with a Cutler (lots of Cutlers around in the saw trade in those decades) in an area just opening up to a bunch of saw makers, including the Taylor Brothers.
    It's got that beautiful but slight tapering of the blade (and of the iron back?) which gives it extra lightness and grace, and the sharp bevel of the back, plus the style of the handle - perfect!

7. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

Thank you Simon!

8. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

And Fred!!!