Which Disston model is this?

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by spanner48, Jan 27, 2022.

1. spanner48

spanner48 New Member

I got this from a job lot. Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 23.48.00.png Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 23.48.12.png

Initially, I thought "With that Wheat engraving, it's probably a Keystone". But the straight back with Nib and the tote says it's too early for them; and the tote looks like Apple, rather than Beech. And the medallion is a proper Disston 'Philada' 1896-1917.

The sawscrew positions say it's the old style "pre-D" – same as 7, 8, 12, 112; but the 7 and 8 don't have Wheat chip-carving, and the 12 and 112 have the extra thumb-hole ahead of the lower limb - which this one doesn't. The positions are similar to other early 99s; but the rear top screw on them is lower. The domed-nut screws say "post-1887": but the Lamb's Tongue and dog-leg shape of the lower limb suggest earlier. The curve at the heel of the plate suggests either 12/112 or 99.

My best guess is that it's a late C19 Nº 99, from a period when the tote changed more than once. But what do the experts say?

2. Dusty Shed Dweller

Dusty Shed Dweller Most Valued Member

I reckon it's a No. 7 with user applied 'wheat' chip carving. The stuff on this saw doesn't look like the typical Disston rotary- tool carving. Handle in beech with lambs tongue rules out a lot of models as well. I'd suggest trying very hard to raise an etch.

David likes this.
  3. David

David Most Valued Member

Early #99's (pre-1865) were all split nut and die stamped. From 1865 to 1867 they were etched, still with split nuts. I agree with Dusty that you should find an etch to determine what model this saw ios.