Weldon and Furniss

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Aug 7, 2014.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

It is a shame that this saw is cut down, but I suspected that it was when I bought it. But then again I paid very little for it along with two other "also rans". Neither did I know that it was a Weldon and Furniss, just that it had to be old from the handle shape and the size and style of what I could see of the mark.

I am also sure that there is a Weldon on this site somewhere, or at least reference to it, but I cannot find it. (Any chance of getting the search engine to work Ray. Its a real pain going through 25 pages of threads?)

Anyway, Weldon and Furniss are in HSMOB at Castle Hill from 1814 to 1817, but I have it in my head somewhere that they operated for a little longer than that. HSMOB also has their mark as "Weldon". Mine is Weldon and Furniss with a slightly reclining ampersand.

There was a "Weldon" sold on Ebay recently I will try to put an image on here after my three. It went for a very reasonable amount of money. I was pitifully low down in the underbidders - and I bid $92.

When I first started collecting saws I did a trawl through HSMOB to record all the brand names and I got the following.

Weldon Sheffield Chambers and Co. 1865 to 1884
    Weldon* Sheffield Cutler, Hiram G 1837 to 1847
    Weldon** Sheffield Furniss, Cutler, Stacey 1822 to 1834

Ah, I suspect that reference to Weldon would have been made in Joe's Cutler thread. I think that it was Joe's. Excuse me if I have the wrong person but I am not going to look through another 25 pages of threads.

It looks like Furniss, Cutler and Stacey, and Hiram G Cutler are successor firms.

Does anyone know how Chambers comes into it?

Fred

PS. I must be really silly to do this, but it only took me 10 pages this time.

A lot more info is on Joe's thread. Including how Chambers fits into it.

http://www.backsaw.net/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=58&jfile=showthread.php&t=298

PPS. Looking at the "Weldon" mark on the Ebay saw, could it be a Furniss Stacey and Cutler mark. It is probably too early for a Hiram Cutler?

PPPS. I have only just looked properly at the Hook on my handle. Even if I do say so myself, it is absolutely lovely.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  2. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Fred, I agree, the standard search facility is next to useless, I get better results using google to search the site...

It's easy enough to do, you put the search terms and then "site:www.backsaw.net" on the same line.

Here are the search results for "weldon"

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...ntu-browser&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Regards
    Ray