Weird backsaw

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by johnnyrsa, Apr 15, 2014.

1. johnnyrsa

johnnyrsa Active Member

I purchased this backsaw earlier today, it has "T. Smith Cast Steel" stamped on the back and a Disston medallion with a weird looking handle. I'ts quite long at 45cm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

It looks to me like it has been a "proper" backsaw at some stage with a handle added that is more suited to a keyhole type saw.

If you look at the top of the blade at the back, there is an extension to it beyond the steel back. This looks to me like it fitted into a different handle to the one that it has now.

As for who T Smith is, that so far is a mystery. There is no T Smith in HSMOB and to be honest, with little idea of date, the search is not one that I would undertake lightly.:(

It may well be that it is a brand (simple stamp, no place of manufacture) and would not be discoverable in any case. I am assuming that it is British, although I cannot be sure even of that.

It will be interesting to see what others make of it.

Fred

3. steveatkinson

steveatkinson Most Valued Member

45cm very long Back saw

Hi,
    at 45cm if that is the length of the blade alone then this is quite some saw, perhaps even at one time this could of been a mitre saw, I think Fred has a good point re the handle, the style of handle would appear to have been different at some point in time.
    Can you tell me is the very top edge of the steel back almost round in shape, when it has been folded I have seen some mitre saws with an almost round rib in the very top of the back, perhaps greater rigidity over the longer length, I am only guessing there.
    I think Disston also sold a nest of saws with a handle very similar to the one that is on.
    I hope you get some more input off other readers.

4. johnnyrsa

johnnyrsa Active Member

Hi Steve. The top of the back is actually quite rounded, more so than any of my other folded back saws. I was also thinking it could have been a mitre saw because of it's length.