Wade Wingfield Rowbotham

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Feb 23, 2012.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

I hadn't knowingly come across this style of saw before I bought my ill-fated nameless "Utter Frustration" saw, where the back comes straight out of the chamfer and is virtually on a level with the shoulder going up to the beak. I think that it looks really classy.

To me they have a streamlined almost Art Deco look about them albeit substantially before Art Deco was thought of. A bit like a stylised express locomotive

Also, one of the advantages of this saw is that HSMOB ascribes a 4 year time period to the firm 1845 to 1849 and so, assuming HSMOB is right there is a very good timeframe within which to attribute not only style but also marking fonts and nomenclature.

That is, of course unless someone is going to come along and say "but Wingfield Rowbotham used their "Wade" stamps well into the 18??'s" and which has been a bugbear of many of my prior saw dating efforts.

Fred

The third photo is of this and my "Utter Frustration" saw for comparison.

Attached Files:

2. planemaker

planemaker Active Member

Hi Fred. Thats a couple of very fine looking backsaws. Both handle shapes are so very easy on the eyes. With the bottom saw, the placement of the saw screws in the radial pattern around the cheeks is most unusual to see. It works very well. Nice thread.

Stewie;.