W Wilkinson & Co, Sheffield

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by kiwi, Jan 7, 2013.

1. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

I'm a little unsure as to the origins of this saw as the only "W Wilkinson" sawmaker listed in HSMOB is not from Sheffield, but from Newcastle (1886-1916), and is not listed as "& Co."
    The Sheffield Directories list W Wilkinson as a manufacturer of shears and knives, from 1825-1911. Listings from 1841 are usually "& Sons" or "& Son", but never "& Co"

?Possibly the "& Co" was a special shipment made up through one of the above for export to the North American market ?

The handle appears to be original (no extra holes in the plate) but I'm unsure as to what the original sawnuts were like as the recesses for the bolt heads are only 3/8" dia. (I got the saw with replacement standard split nut bolts with 1/2" dia heads sitting proud of the wood surface, thus making the shafts too short to apply nuts)

Unfortunately the blade is badly warped, and attempts by some previous miscreant using a hammer, and twisting the toothline with pliers, have left the blade both warped and dented and with splits at the toothline. My guess is that the American Agent for William Wilkinson of Newcastle found this saw from William Wilkinson of Sheffield encroaching on his territory and decided to destroy it... or.. maybe not.

Attached Files:

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Kiwi,

As you may appreciate, Wilkinson (in excess of 2000 of them pre 1850) is not the easiest name to search in the directories, but I may have found a candidate.

Firstly I assumed that your saw was pre 1860 (it has a chamfer to the back which I don't think that I have seen after about 1860) and so that cut the search down a little.

In Whites directory of Sheffield and Rotherham (1856) there is, on page 266
    a reference to:-

Wilkinson Walter and Co. scissor and shear manufacturer Yard 117 Fitzwilliam Street.

Granted not a saw maker, but he is the nearest that I can get, and he can't be far from where the fledgling Joseph Tyzack was making?? (would make) saws. I have never satisfactorily sorted out when he moved from being a maker of platerers' tools to saws.

Hope it helps

Fred

3. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Thanks Fred,

That looks like a possible.
    I had initially thought the saw was a later model, say c1900, due to the curved name stamp with no accompanying "cast steel" or steel type, and the handle looking new-ish with only a profiled lambs tongue not fully carved out (the handle may be a replacement though).
    Lots of room for WAGs

4. AMA

AMA New Member

William Wilkinson was a saw maker. Began in Sheffield then moved to Westgate Road, Newcastle upon Tyne. The saw looks like one of theirs. The company is still trading but is no longer in the Wilkinson family and has moved to a modern unit in Newcastle

5. fred0325

Hi AMA,

Do you know when they began in Sheffield and when they moved.

We now have BSSM rather than HSMOB but there is still no Wilkinson as a sawmaker registered in Sheffield. They are in Birmingham, London(3), Manchester and Newcastle, but no Sheffield.

BSSM has Wilkinson, Newcastle as 1890 to 1965 at various locations.

And just a note to say that you were right about the date, Kiwi. Looking at the saw with fresh and slightly more experienced eyes, that rounded nose to the back must put it at the end of the 19th/start of the 20th century.

Fred

6. AMA

AMA New Member

Hi Fred
    What an interesting website!

I'm a descendant of William Wilkinson and came upon this forum while researching him.

There is some background via the current website:
    http://www.wilkinsonsaw.co.uk/
    • The business was started by William Wilkinson in Sheffield - at an educated guess about 1870. I haven't found a reference to it - yet.
    • William moved to Newcastle upon Tyne and continued to trade, expanding the business which was passed by 1901 to his son Harry Cecil Wilkinson, trading at 24 Cloth Market, (Newcastle upon Tyne) and moved to Low Friar Street by 1920.
    • In 1931 it was registered as W.Wilkinson (Saw Makers) Limited.
    • In 1954 it had two trading addresses with 294 Westgate Road added. I remember visiting and watching the saws being made - the sparks did fly!
    • The company passed to the Cecil R M Wilkinson (Harry Wilkinson's only son) in about 1959 and subsequently to the then manager T Fleeting in the late 1960s and sold when he retired
    • Now called Wilkinson Saw (but still registered at Companies House as W.WILKINSON(SAW MAKERS)LIMITED) - I've posted a photo of the trading address at 305 Westgate Rd NE5 6AJ although they also trade at Unit 29 Invincible Drive, Armstrong Industrial Park , Newcastle Upon Tyne , NE4 7HX
    Hope this helps

Attached Files:

7. fred0325

Thanks for the very comprehensive reply.

It is seldom that we get something of this detail, with the bonus that the Sheffield Wilkinson connection, as far as I can see from Simon Barley's new book, British Saws and saw makers from 1660, is previously unknown

If you could "hang around" the site for a little while, I will ask Simon if he would like to contact you. With, of course, your consent.

Thanks again

Fred

8. AMA

AMA New Member

I'm pleased it was helpful Fred.

Happy for Simon to contact me - although I'm not sure how much more I can add! I get email alerts on replies to this thread so it shouldn't be a problem to arrange contact. I do work so there may sometimes be a delay

9. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Thanks to Fred and AMA for all that information. It shows how much more there is to add to my saw book, given time to search more websites, and access to better libraries (I have to say again, that failing to get to Newcastle [and Bristol] left noticeable holes in the book).
    A question for AMA, which maybe I myself can answer in Sheffield library, is what William Wilkinson started out making – saws from the start? Or something else?
    Will hope to answer that soon.
    Meanwhile, here's a copy of the entry in the book, which I will now be able to amend definitively.
    WILKINSON, William NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE

Haywood’s Court, Cloth Market 1890-1910

4 Low Friar Street 1914-1938>

259 Westgate Road <1965>

10. AMA

AMA New Member

Hello Barleys

Thank you for coming back to me. I found most of the dates through directories, census and the wonderful Discovery Centre in Newcastle upon Tyne which held multiple boxes of files and documents from W Wilkinson. I emerged absolutely filthy - there was over 100 years of dust, filings and grease!

A couple of points:
    • In 1954 it had two trading addresses Low Friar Street and 294 Westgate Road
    • It is still trading at 305 Westgate Rd NE5 6AJ and Unit 29 Invincible Drive, Armstrong Industrial Park , Newcastle Upon Tyne , NE4 7HX