W. Tyzack, Sons & Turner

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by summerfi, Dec 20, 2013.

1. summerfi

summerfi Most Valued Member

Greetings all,
    In the interest of documenting as many old saws as possible, here are some pictures of my W. Tyzack, Sons & Turner. When I got the saw, the nib was very near the toe end, indicating the saw had been shortened. If it was a 30" saw, the etch would have been perfectly centered. It may also have been a 28" though, and after someone shortened it, it is now 26 1/4". I filed a new nib in a more traditional location, and I also converted the saw from 4 ppi rip to 8 ppi rip to make it more useful to me as a using saw. The plate is pretty badly pitted on one side, and the elephant secondary etch has been impacted by the pitting. One question for the group: I've seen in an early 20th century Tyzack catalog that the saws have a model number below the etch. This saw, however, has no number. Does that have something to do with the date of manufacture?

The first picture is of the saw as I acquired it. The others are of the saw as it now exists.

Bob

Attached Files:

2. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the pictures, you have done a great job on the restoration, very nice.
    Elephant saws are always good quality and good to find..

What is the process you used for cleaning up the handle?

Regards
    Ray

3. summerfi

summerfi Most Valued Member

Hi Ray,
    I'll tell you my process for cleaning up saw handles if you promise not to wince (LOL). After removing from the saw, I spray the handle with oven cleaner. I read about this on another forum, tried it, and it works very well to remove dirt, oil, grease and wax that have accumulated over the decades. On this saw, though, you'll notice there was an area of oil or grease near the lamb's tongue that was so deep it did not come out. After 10-15 minutes, wash the handle in water, brushing lightly with a bristle brush. Let dry, then sand as needed. I apply a finish of 3 or 4 coats of satin wipe on poly, followed by buffing with 0000 steel wool and then apply paste wax and buff. I know the proponents of boiled linseed oil will not like this, but I think it makes a more attractive and durable finish that does not detract from the original character of the saw.

Merry Christmas!
    Bob