W. Cheadle Saw

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Brent Parkin, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Brent Parkin

Brent Parkin New Member

Hello all,

A number of years ago, I purchased a well abused 14" brass back saw with the name W. Cheadle on it. I'm located in Canada so my assumption is a saw from across the pond. It was a sad sight, but the auction price of $2.00 had me think why not. In reality, I purchased a brass back. The handle was shattered beyond repair and the blade was also beyond saving.

At the time, Pete Taran was making my I.T. dovetail saw (Before Lie-Nielsen bought him out) and I asked him if he could supply a new blade for this saw. He was kind enough to do that for me and after installing the blade, the saw sat on a shelf until now. I am jut finishing up a new handle for the saw and picked up some nuts and a medallion on e-Bay to assemble the saw. Yes it will be a Franken saw, but that's ok with me in this case. It will still look good along side my Adria saw of the same size and I will finally put it to use in the shop.

Does anyone know anything about the original maker W. Cheadle? I can find nothing about him at all. Although there was a rough one sold on e-Bay last January. I'm just curious if anyone knows a little about the maker.

Thanks and if anyone is interested in seeing it when I finish it up tomorrow, just ask and I will post a picture. Talk about a project that sat for a long time!!!!

Regards,
    Brent Parkin
    Regina, SK
    Canada

2. David

David Most Valued Member

Hi Brent,
    Welcome to the site. Of course folks here will be interested to see your completed saw, so send us pics. BSSM has William Cheadle at three different addresses in Birmingham, from 1842 to 1861; maker of saws and steel busks, saws repaired, manufacturer of every description of saw, etc. etc.
    Please post images of the stamp as well.
    Cheers,
    David