Vickers & Co

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Joe S, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Ray et al
    It has been a while since Fred posted a pic of an early Vickers & co saw. A few variations and other iterations of the name and company have also been discussed and reviewed over the years. I am going to suggest this steel back, German steel saw would be similar to the example Fred posted just by the stamp. James Vickers was making saw from 1814-1828 as per Simon's BSSM. The later later William Vickers 1828-1841 showed a different stamp and was a merchant.
    When I received this saw I needed to remove a coat of thick "varnish" that was liberally applied over the top half of the saw. Why it was done, who knows. Upon the slow removal I realized there was the remnants of an early stamp in the blade, unfortunately a partial stamp. The stamp isn't centred, closer to the nose, compared to the spine stamp and would have been in a semi circle. I am asking this group if they know or recognise the unreadable company or merchant. What is there is 'J. So........RK. or (J.Sc )My gut feeling it is a New York merchant. I have gone through some early New York directories, 1820s through 30s, which has me coming up empty.
    Any one have any ideas?
    thanks
    Joe S

Attached Files:

shoarthing likes this.