Vickers Andrew & Co

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by kiwi, Jul 19, 2016.

1. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Another rescue saw that had been left outside to die, (but it might be salvageable as the plate cleaned up quite well where I was investigating the name stamp). The name stamp is unfamiliar and puzzling me, on this otherwise un-remarkable 26" 5ppi saw with a warranted superior medallion. Vintage looks to me like the last third of 1800s.
    The stamp reads "Vickers Andrew & Co" arced over "Sheffield", with "cast steel" to one side. There is a light stamping of three crowns around this, and a lightly stamped "warranted" below

Are there any records of "Vickers Andrew & Co" ? Dates ?

[Perhaps it was a joint venture of Naylor Vickers and J H Andrew & C0, (I have saws from both makers), maybe a short term partnership set up for the Canadian/American export market ??]

P1030206.JPG
    P1030209.JPG P1030208.JPG P1030206.JPG P1030207.JPG

2. Underthedirt

Underthedirt Most Valued Member

Hi Kiwi, a nice saw there, is the handle beech or something else? Some nice grain in the hand grip.

Regards

Mari

3. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Kiwi,

Only negatives I am afraid. I have looked in the 1879 and 1905 directories for Sheffield and there is no firm Vickers and Andrew or anything like it. I am assuming that it is not a lot earlier than 1879 by the shape of the handle. One thing that I can say about it though is that it has about the best preserved/cast W/S medallion that I have seen. I will try an 1860's directory as an outside chance.

Fred

I have also just looked in the1862 directory and there is nothing there either.

It looks like it is one for Simon, and I am sure that he will want the mark in any case. I am wondering whether the saw, despite its current rusty state has had a lot of use as the mark is nearly as crisp and unworn as the medallion.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  4. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Mari, Yes I think the handle is beech, (although I find it difficult to positively identify wood species, especially when the surface is grey and weathered)

Fred, Thanks for researching. I think you're correct that the saw hasn't seen a huge amount of work as a saw, (although it has been sharpened a few times and the tooth shape is now tending to peg-tooth-rip rather than a regular rip tooth). It likely led a fairly sheltered life until the last year or so when it has been left out in the weather to decay

With the wood grain showing through the surface weathering on the handle, the crisp medallion, a straight plate, and the rust on the blade appearing to be more surface rust than deep pitting, this saw is atop my pile of "saws-to-be-cleaned"
    [next to my pile of "important-saws-that-should-be-cleaned-even-though-a-lot-of-work-probably-won't-change-their-appearance-significantly", and the pile of "saws-that-could-be-cleaned", and the pile of " other-saws-needing- ...." :) ]

5. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

It really is extraordinary what saws can be brought back from the apparent dead; one of life's pleasures (I hope nobody but thoroughly understanding saw enthusiasts reads this) is to go for a saw with a blade like this and find a mark in apparently mint condition. I think the handle also could be revived with any kind of wax or oil, so as to do justice to one of the best medallions I've seen. The handle shape is one that I've previously thought can go back to as early as the 1860s, but I'm not putting too much money on it.
    JHAndrew definitely had saw connections: he was a partner in the Groves business from 1846-1861, and went into steel making on his own in 1860. I think that Kiwi's surmise that this saw was an amalgamation of the two names (but which Vickers???) could well be correct. It's yet another example of the adage that in the 19th cent Sheffield was "one great workshop" in which temporary liaisons were what every large and small firm went in for. There may be more information in the official history of the Vickers (armaments) business, but I haven't got a copy.
    And PS to kiwi: yes please – a close up of the mark for my updating database would be great. Thanks. Simon