Two unremarkable saws

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Sep 4, 2011.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Two unremarkable saws.Needham Veall Tyzack + Arnold

Hello all,

As the title says, a couple of unremarkable saws but each with something of interest.

The first is the Needham Veall and Tyzack with the damaged handle and the saw doctor who had studied at the "Fred school of saw plate straightening". You can see the "dings" in the blade where the hammer has dented it. They have nearly got the blade straight though. :rolleyes: I think that it is of interest simply because it is a Needham Veall and Tyzack. I must have looked at thousands of saws by now and only recently have I seen another one on Ebay. The stamp may be of help if someone sees the wheel and "Progress" as a partial etch/stamp anywhere else. The blade is 8" long.

I have just looked for their dates in HSMOB and I cannot find them, although I know at one stage I did get dates. I will do an "edit" later when I have found them. *Trademarks on Base Metal have them as 1865 to 1925*.

The second is the Arnold which, of course is a Taylor Bros. It is not a bad little saw at all. The blade is straight but the handle sits really high on the saw, (see comparison photos. below) and which I think gives it a certain elegance. The hang angle though gives an exit line at the saw blade about 1/4 to 1/3 the way along the saw. And again, not I saw that I have seen many, if any examples of.

Fred

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  2. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Fred,

I think that was a popular educational institution, I've seen quite a few saws from the "Fred School of saw plate engineering" and it's Australian affilliate the "Ray's School of saw plate mangling"

The subject of hang angles comes up every so often, and my take on it is as follows, the traditional rule of thumb is to grip the saw normally with a 3 fingered grip and the index finger should point roughly towards the center of the tooth line. The other factor which will impact on this is the height of the workpiece, if you are accustomed to working much higher, then the hang angle tends to decrease, and working lower the hang angle increases. Apart from that, the length of the saw is the major determinant in the hang angle. Getting lower, until you get to handsaws where the grip line is almost at right angles to the tooth line..

Hope that makes some kind of sense.

There is a strange situation where because of the circular motion of the arm while sawing you can get an "overcenter" type of binding when the hang angle is wrong.

Regards
    Ray

3. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

NV&T were fairly big-time cutlers (see Tweedale's Directory) and their very second quality saws were factored. I've seen only backsaws, which endorses my theory that backsaws had a good advertising value, as the struck name on the back lasts and lasts - and lasts. From memory the Tyzack came from the breakup of the Tyzack family after a saw making patriarch's death in the 1870s, and the firm failed in the 1920s.