Three crowns?

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Force, May 23, 2012.

1. Force

Force Active Member

Hi all,
    my name's Chris and i'm new to the forum and to saw collecting. I've been wondering for a while about the three crowns and how they can be used to date a saw. I have a couple of saws with these crowns which are abit faint but appear to be alike, are there kings and queens crowns, and if so in what time lines are they?
    Cheers...Chris

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Chris,

Please don't get me started on Kings' and Queens' crowns. The brief answer is that I suspect that there is a difference, but if there is it will be of limited value only as Victoria reigned for so long and most of the saws that come up regularly were made in her reign. It may be a useful concept at the William/Victoria Victoria/Edward changeovers but has yet to be proven. Please see:-

http://www.backsaw.net/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=58&jfile=showthread.php&t=139

As for crowns on saw blades, that has always confused me. I thought that they denoted an earlier saw (poss pre 1840) but I distinctly remember Simon saying that he thought that they were an 1860 - ish+ phenomenon. Perhaps both are true as "standard features" on saws such as this turn out to be not so standard for much of the time.

Hope that this hasn't depressed you too much

Fred