Thos. Turner & Co. date ?

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Lostarrow, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Lostarrow

Lostarrow Active Member

I picked up this beautiful saw this morning .
    There’s no medallion as later saws have . There’s no dot between Cast and Steel , from what I can see . I was guessing pre 1830 because of the lack of medallion . (?) The trademark also lacks the word “ improved “ as later trademarks seem to have . It does say “refined “ opposite the “ Cast Steel “
    I’m just wondering if anyone has more information to share .
    Thank you in advance , as always .

Attached Files:

2. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

I think I'd guess it was made somewhat later than the 1830s with that style of marking, ( "Refined", no dot in "Cast Steel", upright ampersand, mark above the baseline of the spine). Dating a saw by its lack of medallion is tricky as Manufacturers often only placed medallions on their top line saws (brass backs and/or highly polished), with less highly finished saws having regular saw screws only. Still, a nice old saw and a good find.

Lostarrow likes this.
  3. Lostarrow

Lostarrow Active Member

Thanks , Kiwi . It definitely has the look and feel of a much later saw .
    The lack of medallion wasn’t the only thing that made this stand out to me .
    The different trademark ( lacking the word “ encore “ ) beneath .
    It seamed odd that that sort of detail would be removed as opposed to added (?) a different line of saws as you mentioned maybe ?
    I’ve only heard mention of the & and the dot , but it wasn’t in context with actual dates . Could you be so kind as relieve me of my ignorance in these matters ?
    Perhaps these details could be added to the dating timeline ?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  4. Lostarrow

Lostarrow Active Member

I found a few examples of the trademark ( some on this site . In order of date from early to late .

Attached Files:

5. Lostarrow

Lostarrow Active Member

Here’s an interesting bit , that can narrow it down somewhat I suppose .
    These are all of the registered trademarks used previous to 1867 .

Attached Files:

6. shoarthing

shoarthing Most Valued Member

8227F453-2EB0-4A8F-8540-75D64CA7F31B.jpeg

Lostarrow - Hi . . . . in order to contribute to your research, without wishing to infringe upon his copyright, here is an image from the updates to Simon Barley’s BSSM.

Lostarrow likes this.