Thomas Turner Cast•Steel

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by greyhound, Jul 10, 2017.

1. greyhound

greyhound Most Valued Member

This saw has quite unusual makers mark. The steel bask simply stamped THOMAS TURNER with CAST•STEEL underneath. The BSSM does not have stamp like this, perhaps this is an early example of the Thos. Turner or a saw made by the other TT listed in the book.
    I did not see the • (dot) before I reviewing my pictures, so a nice surprise there.

Attached Files:

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi,

This is interesting from a couple of viewpoints.

It is Cast (dot) which must put it at the earlier end of Thomas Turner's saw selling business and it does not have the Encore trade mark

I posted a Thomas Turner Cast.Steel on here a little while ago and speculated that it may have been a saw that was manufactured for Turner before he began making them himself. But mine had the trade mark on it and yours, which does not, has set me wondering whether the saws bearing his trade mark were made by him, but yours was made earlier, for him. Just a WAG and unprovable as far as I know.

I don't see a Turner mark in BSSM without a trade mark with it and so Simon may well be interested in it.

I don't think that it is the other T Turner, as it is way too early for him to be making it.

Fred