T&G Gray half rip saw

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by tonyba, Nov 4, 2014.

1. tonyba

tonyba Active Member

Greetings
    A comrade gave me this saw recently and I am quite impressed with it.
    28 inch 3.5 ppi Stamped ?&T Gray Sheffield London Spring
    Blank label screw ,one replacement brass screw
    Mild upper horn damage;beech handle
    Blade in good order with no kinks or bows
    Nib missing
    Cheers
    Tony DSCF3078.JPG DSCF3085.JPG

Attached Files:

2. tonyba

tonyba Active Member

3. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey Tony
    Welcome aboard and to this serious affliction called "saws". It seems you have also been aided with the disease from some friends too.
    I see with all the posts you have some saws that you may be unfamiliar with and you probably have come to the right place. If you are really serious, can I make a suggestion as Wiktor has done in the last post about finding or ordering the book Simon just published BRITISH SAWS & SAW MAKERS FROM c1660. It is a great resource and a great start. In the meantime

I will reference Simon's book to the saws and dates for all nine saws you showed us.
    1. George and Thomas Gray, Sheffield 1849-1929, merchants and saw makers. I would guess about 1870.
    2. From Schaffer's Hand Saw Makers of North America. American saw. Simonds MFG co. Fitchhberg MA 1868-1922 obviously after 1887. I'd say 1900-1920. Very nice shape. They were considered very nice working saws.
    3. Tyzack Sons and Turner Sheffield 1879-1974. Simon says they are 3rd quality and this prob dates 1920s. Has an actual pic of the Old O mark. Nice
    4. Bowden & Co. Joseph Tyzack make saw resided on Byden street. 1876-1924. 1900 saw?
    5. TyzackSons and Turner. info already mentiond. Don't think it is a kitchen saw,1920.
    6. Moseley and Sons . J 1852-1868 Nice early 1860s saw an looks to be cut down as you suggest.
    7. Robert Sorby Sheffield 1833-1971 Kangaroo came after the 1850. Hard to say but sometime prob between 1870 and 1900.
    8. Spear and Jackson. Sheffield 1833-1944 nice saw.
    9. J Taylor and Son. Taylor Bros 1837-1971. Around a long time. Simon has a huge section on many varieties of saws. It has the nice scripted Sheffield which Simon suggests 1950s- 1870s. Probably more the latter.
    There is lots of info in all the older posts when you have time to look because there is lots.
    Hope this helps.
    Joe S.

4. tonyba

tonyba Active Member

Joe
    Many thanks for your response;great information
    I have Simons book tagged for near immediate purchase.
    I posted these saws ;with more to come; for information and to provide photos for internet saw info searchers.
    All the saw knowledge I have was gained from the web.
    Thanks again
    Tony