Stacey Pease & Co

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by pmcgee, Aug 29, 2013.

1. pmcgee

pmcgee Most Valued Member

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Paul,

I cannot see the saw as I have to log in or register to see it.

I can tell you though that there are no Stacey's of Pease's in HSMOB and so it would be even more interesting if you could post a pic or two here.

Fred

3. pmcgee

Lazy me :)

Attached Files:

4. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Paul,

Stacey Pease and Co. are in Whites 1862 p.170 and are recorded as manufacturers of Razors, Table knives and as merchants at Eyre Lane and Howard Street. But not as saw makers. Possibly therefore as retailers of saws.

I'll try to put the page of the directory on as it shows their trade mark, but it is rather small and I don't know how it will come out.

So the font is not that late. But it does have serifs to the letters which a much later 19th or early 20th century one would not have.

Fred

The image came out duff and so I have removed it. I'll have another go at posting it but don't hold your breath. I can never get the hang of copying from Historical Directories.

I'll have another go. If you can see it, it is not perfect by any means but it is there. I cannot open it on my other computer but it was put on with Word 2010

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  5. pmcgee

Thank you. Blown up that looks like ...

Attached Files:

6. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Stacey, Pease & Co

A small tweak to Fred's post - these people were in the Sheffield term Cutlers (ie producers of tools etc with a cutting edge) and like hundreds of their mates they had saws made for them by one of the true saw makers, simply having their name marked on. Retailers outside Sheffield more often were inclined to have them marked (as Groves did for scores of them) "Made for...." or similar wording. The Sheffield cutlers don't seem to have done that much at all.
    Most of these factored saws were not top quality.

Later:

I've found an earlier Stacey

FURNESS, CUTLER, & STACEY SHEFFIELD
    Castle Hill 1818-1833
    John Furness, Cutler [? John or Hiram], and John Stacey, merchants, factors, edge tool, saw and steel manufacturers. The business was continued as Hiram Cutler, and was a continuation of Weldon & Furniss.

But Stacey is quite a common name in Sheffield, so there may be no relationship.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  7. pmcgee

... and "John" :)

8. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Stacey, Pease

I should have looked earlier at the cutlery bible, aka Tweedale's Directory of Sheffield Cutlery Manufacturers, where there are indeed a whole lot of Staceys:

Stacey & Bourne (1868-1902), Stacey Brothers (1845-1891), Ebenezer Stacey & Sons (1840-ish -1932). George Stacey (died 1832 - "as a general workman his equal was not to be found"), Stacey, Henry & Horton (1856-1859), Henry V. Stacey (1880-1910) and finally Stacey, Pease & Co - "this company enjoyed a brief existence in the early 1860s".

My guess therefore is that the saw we're looking at was probably made in the 1860s.