Spear and Jackson salute to Disston #12

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by tonyba, Apr 30, 2020.

1. tonyba

tonyba Active Member

Found this on the net.
    Havent seen one in the flesh or in a catalogue.
    "Made by New Process" so pre "Spearior"
    Cheers
    Tony

Attached Files:

2. Dusty Shed Dweller

Dusty Shed Dweller Most Valued Member

Tones, what model number is under the etch? Also, the examples with the square box outline etch are the uber top line models. So not surprising it has a double loop handle akin to a #12.

I think the 24 was the straight backed version of the 88?

3. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

1915 catalog. Looks like the saw is a 173 (straight back version of "double mermaid") although the illustrated etch is slightly different. This catalog also states "All saws bearing our name are now made by our New Process, which makes our saws stand severer strains without buckling, than any others"
    The 82 is the straight back version of the 88
    The 24 is the straight back version of the 25
    img091.jpg

4. tonyba

tonyba Active Member

Thanks Kiwi
    Its a pretty comprehensive catalogue; I will try to find a copy.
    That sentence on the bottom re extra for side plates is interesting; I have recently picked up some side plated saws and will post them separately.
    Interesting that the two mermaids have not yet transitioned to the etch yet the saw is a "Double Mermaid".
    I see many saws in my travels (the full gamut of Disstons) but 171/173 are yet to be sighted in 3D.

5. tonyba

tonyba Active Member

Dusty
    The images were from the web; no number visible in images available.
    24 was a leapfrog; but I have a 118 which became Leapfrog post 1910; so did Leapfrog apply to multiple handsaws?
    Pics of 118 ;I should do separate thread on it.
    My 118 has Melbourne/Ballarat dealers Etch which is nice for a Miners Saw.
    Cheers
    T

Attached Files:

6. Dusty Shed Dweller

Dusty Shed Dweller Most Valued Member

Tones, I applaud you for trying unravel S&J, a task I have contemplated, but failed to act upon, for some time. For such a large and long-lived company documentation is rather scarce, although Simon Barely and the Hawley collection/Trust must have material. The only real catalogue details I am aware of is the 1915 edition reprinted The Handsaw Catalog Collection by the Astragal Press.

7. tonyba

tonyba Active Member

Dusty; Thanks
    I will keep chipping away at it; I dont see myself making a trip to the Kelham Island museum in the foreseeable future;unfortunately!
    I am homing in on a reasonably priced copy of the Handsaw Catalog Collection; postage is a deal breaker for us Aussies.
    T

8. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

9. tonyba

tonyba Active Member

Kiwi
    Great resource;many thanks