Spear and Jackson 1917

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Mar 30, 2011.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello All,

Even when it was new I don't think that this saw was one of the classiest that S and J ever produced and it has certainly suffered the ravages of time with a split tongue and woodworm chewed handle, not to mention the lack of nuts on the other side of the screws. The blade is 14" long and only 2 nuts and a steel back must denote a lesser quality saw. They didn't waste much effort on the stamp either. It looks a very utilitarian effort.

Simon was right when he mentioned in one reply that he thought that the only thing holding many handles to the blade was rust. It was the case with this saw.

But back to the reason why I think that this is worthy of putting on here is that, like my Taylor of a past topic, it has 1917 stamped on it.

Would this saw under normal circumstances have been a war production run?
    If the respective "1917's" do denote this then it would seem logical that there were also (possibly) 1914's,1915's and 1916's, and almost certainly a 1918. Does anyone have one, know of one or has seen one? (Of any make). Pictures of said saw would be greatly appreciated.

If 1917 was put on this saw for some other reason, does anyone know what it was?

Fred

Attached Files:

2. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Fred,

I can only offer some speculation, and possible avenues for further research.

The logic is as follows.

It seems likely that it was made for the MOD during WW1, and thus it was probably part of the MOD specifications that the year of manufacture be stamped on the spine.

The logical extension of that line of reasoning is that there should be other items that are similarily marked with the year of manufacture.

So, the quest should be to see if there are other tools or equipment so marked. Or, perhaps even the original tender specifications might well be residing in some dusty back office in Whitehall?

Regards
    Ray

PS... Further thoughts, does it have the broad arrow marking?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  3. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Spear&Jackson 1917

As far as I can tell, broad arrows didn't appear on saws until 1930-ish.
    Agree, this is a WW1 tool (but why would anyone use a tenon saw in the trenches???!)
    Simon

4. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Simon,

There is an interesting film called "Beneath Hill 60" about the war on the Western Front in 1917, and the battle between opposing underground tunneling teams. Building the underground support structures and living quarters would have quite likely required the odd bit of carpentry.

http://www.beneathhill60.com.au/background.htm

Amazing story.

Regards
    Ray

steveatkinson likes this.
  5. timmymacca

timmymacca Member

Hi Fred

I realize this is an ancient thread however I thought you may be interested to see another Spear & Jackson saw dating from WWI stamped with the year of manufacture. Like your saw this one has suffered with time. This example is also 14", steel back, 2 split nuts (unfortunately lost). This one is stamped 1915.

Cheers

Tim

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Thanks for that Tim,

All we need now is a 1914, 1916, and 1918,:) and we have the set.

Frede

7. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

1914: Abraham Ashton 10inch iron back
    IMG_2159.JPG
    1916: S&J bowsaw for iron (also have handsaws and backsaws by three other firms) - with broad arrow, but I don't know what the other hieroglyph is. (sorry about the duplication – can't seem to get rid of it)
    IMG_6421.jpg IMG_6422.jpg IMG_6422.jpg
    1918: iron backed 10inch by Joseph Peace (also handsaws and backsaws by Taylor Bros, S&J, WTyzack Sons & Turner, Abraham Ashton, Francis Wood and Sanderson Bros).
    IMG_4327.JPG
    This is not to brag, but to show how many firms were being used for the war effort. No wonder that after 1918 and the collapse of demand so many of them went bust.

8. steveatkinson

steveatkinson Most Valued Member

Here are a couple more, looks like many of the first World War Saws, seem to be very close in appearance 2 x saw nuts, 14" & Iron back, would you go as far as saying they were extra heavy backs ?
    Tyzack & Turner (No13 not mine 1918.png

Attached Files: