Sorby kangaroo

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by pmcgee, Jan 26, 2013.

1. pmcgee

pmcgee Most Valued Member

Living under the rust ...

These saws were called across the country to land in Perth ... and the english-style saw revealed the same Sorby Kangaroo stamp as on a larger handsaw I have ... but clearer. :rolleyes:

On this one I can't see the third crown ... I assume it would have been there originally(?)

Cheers,
    Paul

Attached Files:

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Paul,

It looks like the Sorby handsaw may have lost its medallion as well, which is a pity.

There was a time when Sorby didn't put the kangaroo mark on saws. I forget when it was exactly but I think that it was around 1836 to 1840 going from an increasingly unreliable memory. So your saw should be later than that.

Fred

3. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

It's one of the pleasures of saw collecting to clean up a heap of rust and find such a mark as this. With the eye of faith I'd say the third crown is in fact there - just a little abdicated, you could say.

4. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

The crown is there, high and to the left of center, you have just begun to clean the bottom of it. I see it in the fourth picture.

Toby