Smith backsaw

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by kiwi, Jun 6, 2011.

1. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

this is a 10†backsaw with “Smith No. “0†“Made in USA" stamp on spine, Teeth 14 ppi filed crosscut, Warranted Superior medallion.
    Blade etch is “Columbia Saw Works, Patent Tempered Patent Ground, Special Steel Warranted†around a winged eagle head with “Phenix†above and “trade mark, U S Pat Off, Made in USA†below, all above “Indianapolis Ind, No 0â€

This Phoenix trademark is the same as shown on E C Atkins' Sheffield Saw Works saws No 30 & 48, p216, 1919 catalog, and Atkins also had a Phoenix medallion, but I haven't seen any Atkins reference to Smith saws or to Columbia Saw Works

Anyone with info on Smith saws or Columbia Saw Works, Indianapolis ?

Attached Files:

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Kiwi,

Again, I can't help much, but I can direct you to a brief conversation between Peter Evans and Ray on the Old Tools website, about the Columbia Saw Works. The consensus seemed to be that the saw then in question may have been an Atkins, the same as your own ideas, (or perhaps a Simmonds) but there was no definitive answer. I am sure that one or both of them will have something to say on this when they read it.

http://swingleydev.com/archive/get.php?message_id=185166

Fred

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  3. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Thanks Fred

E C Atkins note a second line of hand saws from their Indianapolis "Sheffield Saw Works" that have a "Sheffield" medallion. (1919 catalogue)
    I also have a couple of "Columbian" saws which have an almost identical medallion with the word Sheffield replaced with the word Columbian (unfortunately no blade etch was found.)
    So maybe they opened an additional works, or renamed an existing works for marketing purposes, (perhaps when Atkins was sold to Borg-Warner in 1952 ??? although these Columbian saws still have brass screws rather than the usual steel screws common in the 1950s )
    Anyways, this seems to be another indicator to E C Atkins for the Columbia Saw Works,... maybe, perhaps.

Attached Files:

4. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Kiwi,

Still thinking about this one, the circumstantial evidence is pretty suggestive that EC Atkins was the maker.

Regards
    Ray

5. pmcgee

pmcgee Most Valued Member

One of my recent buys has basically this logo ... it might be a few years later ... and is a #29 ... and has a Columbia Warranted medallion.

The #28 has a Sheffield Warranted medallion.

Cheers,
    Paul

Attached Files: