Saw ID help

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by rsather, Sep 15, 2012.

1. rsather

rsather New Member

I picked this saw up a while ago and asked at the time if anyone had any information regarding the stamped name in the saw. There was one reply that had some information but the forum it was on no longer has the thread and I wasn't smart enough to save it locally. Any information or help is appreciated.

If I remember correctly one of the names was thought to be Rutherford. There was also some discussion with regards to the handle being original.

Thanks,
    Ryan

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

I see "something" Rutherford, over "something", over GE-------EL (GERMAN STEEL), with three crowns.
    Which only gives you "Rutherford" to look for. I found this...

Rutherford, John (, saw, busk, scythe, trowel &c. manufacturer).
    Residing at 53 Arundel Street, in 1833.
    Recorded in: Whites History & Directory of Sheffield - 1833.

Rutherford, John (, Saw mfr).
    Residing at 53 Arundel Street, in 1837.
    Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham - 1837.

Toby

3. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Ryan,

Interesting saw, I'm a bit intrigued by the handle, the things that stand out,

1. Doesn't look like an 1830's handle, ( very subjective observation I know)
    2. The handle appears to be poorly fitted, off center slot and angled...
    3. The handle fixing, looks like nails that have been hammered over as rivets.

At a guess I'd say that the handle was replaced by a user many years ago, maybe even as much as 100 years ago or more

So, just speculating, the saw plate is probably 180+ years old, and some one during that time, valued the saw sufficiently to buy a replacement handle** and fit it to the saw. A stark contrast to today's throwaway society.. :)

I'm probably completely wrong, but speculating can be fun.

Regards
    Ray

** most manufacturers offered replacement handle blanks, undrilled, and probably not slotted, it would be interesting to try and identify the make of the replacement handle, might help date the repair.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  4. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

I was thinking the same thing about the handle, but I have no experience with riveted handles.
    The rivets and washers don't match each other, and one washer was apparently never installed.
    And I'd say that the handle doesn't show as much age as the blade.
    I would also agree that they probably bought a replacement handle that was undrilled and unslotted, the handle is well made, but not installed very well.

Toby

5. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Interesting old saw
    Makers mark looks to be EDLEY & RUTHERFORD
    ( I don't know why there is such a large gap between Edley and Rutherford, maybe they were already estranged, as they seem to have operated their own separate businesses after 1829 )
    HSMOB lists Edley & Rutherford as being located at "Bottom of Arundel Street", 1825-1829

6. rsather

rsather New Member

Thank you for all the replies. I agree that the handle is most likely a replacement. The big thing I noticed was how poorly it was fit to the saw. Early 1800's, that's really cool. The saw is pretty used up, this one may just end up on the wall.

Ray,
    Any suggestions on what I would use to help date the handle?

Ryan

7. pmcgee

pmcgee Most Valued Member

Hello guys.

I am a serial offender, known to Toby and Ray, who has up to this point confined his uneducated saw-related ramblings to the long-suffering members of woodworkforums ... and I haven't made myself known to the *real* sawnuts here ... until now.

I had just downloaded the 1918 catalogue Toby put up and read through it - quite fascinated at the extra - or differently organised - info vs the Disstonian and saw the 107 of which I have one (of).

Then reading this post I thought that the handles seem pretty close at first glance ...

Cheers,

Paul

Attached Files:

8. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

Hey Paul,
    I was wondering when you would join us here, welcome!
    I too was thinking Disston, and if you look through some of their catalogs you will see that they did sell handles, both drilled and undrilled, so it is possible. However, many, if not most saw companies, at least in the US, sold replacement handles, and quite a few looked very similar, so it will be difficult to positively identify on looks alone.

Toby