Saw ID help, ? Woodrough Patent ?

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by kiwi, Feb 15, 2013.

1. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Can you help on the identity of this this saw, (found at a local auction this week). It has a patented handle design I've never seen before, where a top bolt and nut locks into a cutout in the saw plate. There is one additional steel cone bolt low in the handle (and a user added bolt through the middle area). I think its possibly a Woodrough patent handle, patent 236,925, Jan 25 1881 http://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPatent.php?number=236925&typeCode=0
    The handle has a patent stamp that's partially legible and might reflect the above patent date.
    The blade is big, 28" long and 7-1/2" deep at the heel, a 5ppi ripper. The etch is unclear, but seems to have "Hamilton" arced over the unidentified lower part of the etch.
    I don't see this saw handle style (or etch) in the Woodrough & McParlin listings in the 1895 National Saw Co catalog (or anywhere else I've looked)

Does anyone have any data on any production of this handle style,
    or clues as to the whole etch,
    or pointers as to where to search, or who to ask/pester,
    or general comments ?

Attached Files:

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Joe,

I know nothing about the saw but I must say that it is a curiosity well worth having.

I would ask, however, whether the V notch for the bottom screw is original.

I can see no practical reason for it to be a V, and you would get an awful lot of movement if the screw ever worked loose.

Also, when you (I) look at the photo the cut-out down to what looks to me to be the original screw hole, looks a little less than professional.

It may also account for the necessity of having a further fixing just above the original.

Does any of this supposition hold water?

Fred

3. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Hi Fred,

You could be right, the lower cutout may be an owner modification designed to make it easy to detach the handle (e.g. to store this big saw in a jobsite tool chest). You would then only need to remove the one top screw clamp and loosen the lower screw for handle removal.

[It's also possible that this bright idea turned out like some of my bright ideas :) , and required an additional fixit screw to repair the damage.]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  4. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Kiwi,

First thought was that the locking mechanism looked like a Woodruff key, and I wondered if here was a connection to Woodrough and Parlin, but then I noticed the different spelling..

Oh well, it was a thought.. :)

For interest sake here is some info on Woodruff keys

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...6XiQef_ICwDw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1344&bih=954

Interesting saw, and one to keep looking for info

Regards
    Ray