Sargant back saw

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Barleys, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

I'm alas not the lucky owner of this, but I've borrowed it to get pictures and am showing it here for a collective ogle.

There were two men of this surname, William (1800 only) and Isaac (1805-1812) in Birmingham. I would have dated this at the early end of those dates, and would like to see a 1795 directory (don't think there was one) to see if a Sargant was around then.

Typical Birmingham handle on an open-handled backsaw of this period. Very small, so that once I had it proposed to me that saws like this, of which I've seen several, were specifically made for the children who were employed in the Birmingham trades of the time. I doubt that myself, as my size of hand doesn't have any difficulty with it. The blade and the back are both very very light, and the blade has not survived well, calling to mind dogs and hind legs.

Attached Files:

2. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey Simon.
    I love this stuff ya got for us to "ogle" at. Great saw and keep them coming. The only thing I didn't quite get was the expression "calling to mind dogs and hind legs". Local vernacular?
    Joe S.

3. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

I can only say that it is a lovely little saw, as I am sure we all agree.

In order to give a timely reply, Joe, and not to steal Simon's thunder at all I think that Simon is referring to the blade being as "crooked (as in bent) as a dog's hind leg".

Fred

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  4. Underthedirt

Underthedirt Most Valued Member

That's just gorgeous, how did those horns survive all this time undamaged? Is the spine / back tapered as well? An amazing little saw, thanks for sharing..:)

Mari

5. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Thanks for the appreciations: and no, surprisingly for its date, the back doesn't taper – it's 19/32 wide all the way.

And although I don't have a dog, hind leg or otherwise for comparison, the attached photo may convey the flavour of the blade, even through the blur.
    IMG_7197.jpg