Samuel Hill, German.Steel

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by David, Aug 6, 2013.

1. David

David Most Valued Member

Hello All,

At first glance it seemed this saw had been treated as debris, but upon the judicious application of some paint remover it was revealed as something much nicer. The steel back tapers from handle to toe, becoming 3/32" narrower in the process. And having cleaned the paint off, I still have to remove the clotted shellac from the handle (another improvement by the artist).

This site's checklist of makers has a mention of Samuel Hill in Pigots of 1828 and I found one later example (with a Samuel Hill medallion) on the internet, which leads me to believe he made saws for quite a while beyond 1828. But that's all I know. With your help I hope to find out more.
    Cheers,
    David

Attached Files:

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi David,

I can only tell you what is in HSMOB and they have Samuel Hill at Rockingham Lane from 1825 to 1852. The German (dot) Steel is a new one to me and one well worth having.

As for aging it, that is a little harder, or a lot harder as the case may be.

As a WAG I would say that the Dot may follow in the style of Cast (dot) and therefore it may be quite early in Samuel's career. But that is by far from certain.

It would be nice to have an early one, but the German (dot) variant must compensate in the event that it is later.

Fred