1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

There is not a lot to say about this saw except that I am completely lost and that there is not a lot to go on re age or dating.

It is cast(dot) but that may not mean a lot with this one as the rounded nose looks quite late to me.

Help.

Fred

Attached Files:

2. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Hi Fred,
    Looks like the trademark shown for W&H Hutchinson (Trademarks on Base Metal Tableware).

Their products included surgical instruments, including amputation saws, but they don't seem to be known for woodworking saws (until now?)
    1882 Advert (Graces Guide)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  3. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Thanks Kiwi,

Is there any chance of posting the image from Trademarks. I have a computer line that downloads at between 50kbs and 150kbs (yes KBS not MBS) and which gets bored and turns itself off when I try to download Trademarks.

Thanks in anticipation

Fred

4. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Fred
    [note; Graces Guide shows a company advert for 1834, well before operating dates shown in "Trademarks"]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG]

[Fred, I have "trademarks" saved on my computer so I don't have to download to use. Perhaps you could take your laptop (or someone else's with a memory stick) down to the local library they likely have a free fast download so you could store that file (and other online catalogues etc) on your machine]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  5. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Hutchinsons, like so many Sheffield manufacturers whose primary trade was not saws, appear to have had them factored with their mark. They were a very major firm, with one partner being Master Cutler in 1857; according to Tweedale's Directory of Sheffield Cutlery Manufacturers, he was known for his miserliness, which would appear to extend even to his choice of trade mark.
    Their name was bought up by W Skidmore, whose firm, making surgical instruments in multitudinous types, operated out of Enema Works, a suitably reassuring name for one of their products.
    [The initial S was used in several other trade marks combined with other symbols, eg the Skelton mark shown here:
    IMG_7500.JPG