S. Biggin & Sons: Sheffield

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by need2boat, May 29, 2012.

1. need2boat

need2boat Most Valued Member

Hey everyone.

I hope you all had a great holiday for those in the US, or a fun weekend for those outside the US. ;-0

I'm kind of new to British saws and just finished replacing the plate on this S. Biggin & Sons back saw. Can anyone narrow down the date between 1845-1860 this might have been made.

I've done a bit of looking on the web and schaffer's book but not really finding anything other then the address changed over the years, and I'm not sure how to tie that back to the saw. The old plate was in bad shape and if there ever was an etch it's long gone.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Attached Files:

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Joe,

Just looking through HSMOB, you can probably tie it down to 1845 to 1850 - ish and which is a very tight time period by anyone's reckoning for a mid 1800's British saw.

From 1845 to 1849 HSMOB has Biggin and Son (one son) listed. Italics mine. The son was Samuel Biggin Jr.

From 1852 to 1856 it is Biggin and Sons (Henry and Samuel)

And from 1856 to 1860 the company was Biggin and Co.

As your stamp is "Son" (singular) you must be between 1845 and 1852, although the firm could have changed anytime in between 1849 and 1852.

Hope that it helps.

Fred

3. need2boat

need2boat Most Valued Member

Cheers Fred,

That helps a lot!

Joe