R Sorby German Steel

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, May 7, 2016.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

I am a little lost as to the age of this saw. BSSM has a mark similar to this one on a handsaw that is dated about 1840, but the similarity probably has as much to do with the corrosion patterns of the marks as the marks themselves.

I don't remember seeing a "London flat" on a Sorby backsaw before, but perhaps that is just me taking very little notice of the brand as Sorbys are ten-a-penny up here in Scotland.

As for "German Steel", it could indicate an early saw, a late saw or anywhere in between.

Judging by the depth of blade, this saw has not had an enormous amount of use and that throws a spanner in the works for me as it is very atypical of the saws that I normally handle.

If pushed, I would have to go for 3rd quarter of the 19th century (or later) on handle size and detail alone.

I do, however stand to be corrected.

Fred

Attached Files:

2. Underthedirt

Underthedirt Most Valued Member

Hi Fred,

That is a lovely saw! >insert jealous emoji<
    I have an 1830ish Sorby tenon with a "London Flat" similar to yours.
    Definitely a candidate for using with that depth of blade, a lovely rare find & thanks for sharing...:)

Regards

Mari

3. fred0325

Hi Mari,

Is there any chance of an image of your saw for comparison?

Fred

4. Underthedirt

Here you go Fred...:)
    It's on an BB 18" tenon saw, around 1830s, cast.steel.
    Mari

Attached Files:

5. fred0325

Thanks for that Mari,

It is so helpful. The handles have similarities, but yours is proportionally much larger and has what I describe as "fuller cheeks" than mine does. Yours also has a chamfered back and just "looks" like an 1820's/30's saw.
    It also has a fair amount of blade left for such an early saw.

I often wonder what such saws have been doing for the last 180 odd years. They must have had very long rest periods in between working.

A lovely saw, and brass backed as well.

Fred

6. Underthedirt

Thanks Fred, I love the nose on yours & would love to see a close up if possible please of the arris to the timber on the top, is it stepped or just flat?
    Also the low lines of stamps look fantastic on yours- you have a lovely lovely backsaw there.

Regards

Mari

7. fred0325

Hi Mari,

Some photo's of the handle. The only real blemish is the chunk taken out just in front of the top screw, but I can live with that.

Fred

Attached Files:

8. Underthedirt

Wow, it's gorgeous, personally I like the simple bevel / arris on the nose of early saws like yours, the damage doesn't bother me either- for a 180 year old saw it carries itself well & the scars are the journey of its life....:)
    The top of the handle is crisp- it's hardly been used, thanks for sharing Fred.

Regards

Mari