query from the colonies...

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Cowtown_eric, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Cowtown_eric

Cowtown_eric New Member

I have recently purchased a John Sanderson crosscut saw with the etched scale (marked "london") with the "square handle" feature. Straight back, no nib

Over here in Alberta, not too many folks are aware that an inch scale marked "london" indicate "london inches" as opposed to the multitude of other lengths of inches in use.

From the Same tool box, came a rip waw with a VERY weak etch. The seller said you can just barrely make out sheffield He was wrong.

Straight back, nib, and a London style handle Identical in pattern to the Sanderson, but sizing is different, and no "square" feature

Gentle cleaning clearly reveals that the last letters of the mmfgrs name are RD

The late ERv schaffers book on English saw makers reveals possibillities...

Whiteford
    h Blackford
    Bedford
    Marshes and Sheperd (too long)
    Spafford
    Ward

The First letter is not clear, but looks like it could be well be an M

Second letter MIGHT be an L

The total letter count is about 9 letter spaces

None of erv's indications seem to fit, so I thought I'd try across the pond.

Any ideas?

eric in Calgary
    ecoyle@telus.net

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Eric,

My first thought was Ward because that is the most common saw but it does not have anywhere near 9 letters and so that probably excludes it.

I cannot find Whiteford in HSMOB and there is only one Spafford and he is Spafford and Co and so there should be letters after the "RD" if it is him. Blackford is 1845 to 1856 and so a possible date for the saw would be useful here.

Again re Bedford there is Bedford, Bury and Co. and Bedford and Sons and so these should have letters after the "RD" The only single Bedford is John and he is 1849 to 1856.

The name may of course be a supplier and therefore none of these:(

It would help enormously to have a picture of the saw and as large an image of the mark as you can get. It is sometimes easier to see detail on photo's than it is in real life. It may also help to date the saw.

And forgive me for being very parochial, but I thought that an inch was an inch, obviously not.:confused:

Fred